1. It is better to sign-up/log-in before you post your question (or reply to an existing thread), instead of posting as a guest.
    This will allow you to easily look up the Q&A sequence anytime, anywhere, with just one mouse click. Learn more...

You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google+ accounts, or create a KVMGalore HelpCenter user-name/password.
    Dismiss Notice

Switch 2-port DisplayPort & HDMI KVM

Discussion in 'KVM' started by Andy S, Nov 21, 2016.

1. Andy S

Andy S New member

I have two computers I'm looking to control via a 2-port KVM switch:
    1) Dell with HDMI video.
    2) HP with DisplayPort and VGA video.

My Dell monitor has HDMI input.

I'm looking to run 2560x1440 resolution.
    I'd also like to preserve the Dell's capability of using the keyboard to configure the monitor's settings such as brightness, contrast and preset modes, which requires DDC/CI support.

I was thinking a UHD HDMI KVM switch would work, but I'm having a hard time finding these.

Can you recommend a hardware solution for this setup?

2. KVMGalore Expert

KVMGalore Expert Staff Member

Since you have a mix of video connections (HDMI, DisplayPort; VGA), you will have to use adapters regardless of which type video is supported by your KVM switch of choice. Since VGA is the only analog format of the three, we recommend going with either HDMI of DisplayPort, being that these two support digital video.

Going DisplayPort, you can look at SV231DPUA supporting DDC and 2560x1600 @ 60Hz, or at CS782DP supporting 3840×2160 @ 60Hz.

With these DisplayPort KVM switches you will need DisplayPort-HDMI adapters.

Going HDMI is a bit tricky, since most HDMI KVM switches are designed to support 1920x1080 resolution only. To support your higher required resolution, you could go with a DVI dual-link KVM switch, since DVI and HDMI video are compatible. Look at CS1782A supporting DDC and 2560x1600 @ 60Hz, or MiniView PRO supporting DDC and 2560x1600 60Hz.

With these DVI KVM switches you will need DVI-HDMI and DVI-DisplayPort adapters.

It is hard to tell which (if any) of these solutions will support this Dell capability, as we are not familiar with the protocol Dell uses to accomplish this.