1. It is better to sign-up/log-in before you post your question (or reply to an existing thread), instead of posting as a guest.
    This will allow you to easily look up the Q&A sequence anytime, anywhere, with just one mouse click. Learn more...

You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google+ accounts, or create a KVMGalore HelpCenter user-name/password.
    Dismiss Notice

Keyboard/Mouse Controlling a KVM switch via a KM switch

Discussion in 'KVM' started by Eric R, Dec 29, 2015.

1. Eric R

Eric R New member

I'm looking to deploy a KM switch (such as SKM-04 or CCS-PRO4), but on port #4 I want to connect a 2-port KVM switch instead of a computer. (One of these two ports will be connected to a 'primary' computer, while the 2nd one is a 'backup' computer).

When on port #4 on the KM switch, I'd like to be able to select either the 'primary' computer or the 'backup' computer).

Can this be accomplished?
    How will this switching occur?
    Which 2-port KVM switch do I need to deploy to make this work?

2. KVMGalore Expert

KVMGalore Expert Staff Member

Yes! But to avoid conflicts it is best to have both the KM switch and the KVM switch (behind port #4) made by the same manufacturer.

The switching will occur by invoking a hot-key keyboard combination. It is imperative, however, that the KM and the KVM will be setup with different hot-key sequences, otherwise both devices will respond to the hot-key command without accomplishing your goal.

With Adder, you can use the CCS-PRO4 as your main KM switch. For switching between two computers on port #4 - use the following:
    1x X200 USB User Station
    2x CAT-X USB CAMs (one dongle for each computer)

For Smart-AVI, you can use the SKM-04 as your main KM switch. We're still researching the recommended hardware for switching between two computers on port #4, primarily because we need to make sure that they are able to use different hot-key sequences.