1. It is better to sign-up/log-in before you post your question (or reply to an existing thread), instead of posting as a guest.
    This will allow you to easily look up the Q&A sequence anytime, anywhere, with just one mouse click. Learn more...

You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google+ accounts, or create a KVMGalore HelpCenter user-name/password.
    Dismiss Notice

Keyboard/Mouse Controlling DVRs with a remote mouse

Discussion in 'KVM' started by Julio M, Jan 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Julio M

Julio M New member

We have eight (8) DVRs in a NOC, each is controlled via a USB mouse (no keyboard).

I want to setup a remote control-point with one mouse that will allow me to switch between the DVRs and use the mouse control the DVR I'm switched to. This remote control point is 300 feet away from the NOC.

No need to worry about extending the video - that is already being taken care of.

I was looking at the PRIMUX User Station and I want to confirm this will work.

Also, I'd like to see if we can return the solution we purchase after 15 days (at the most) if we realize it wasn't working for our setup.

2. KVMGalore Expert

KVMGalore Expert Staff Member

Primux User Station is not a stand-alone device. It is a component of Primux Matrix system which is not suitable for your application.

Quick question: Will the user at the remote control point have 8 screens in front of him/her - each representing the video from each of the eight DVRs?

P.S. It is better that you sign-in before you reply to this thread (instead of posting as a guest). This will allow you to easily look up this conversation anytime, anywhere, with just one mouse click. Learn more...

3. KVMGalore Expert

Another question: What operating system are the DVRs running?

4. Julio M

Julio M New member

Yes.

Embedded Linux.

5. KVMGalore Expert

You can accomplish this in a number of different ways:

1) Deploy SKM-08 keyboard/mouse switch (no video, since you're not looking to switch video anyway) which supports switching between targets (Linux or Windows) by using the mouse.

1a) Position SKM-08 by the DVRs. Use one USB2Pro USB extender to extend the mouse to the remote control point. Use the mouse to switch between DVRs.

1b) Position SKM-08 at the remote control point. Use eight (8) USB2Mini USB extenders to extend each DVR to a port on SKM-08. Use the scrolling buttons on SKM-08 front panel or the mouse to switch between DVRs.

2) Deploy a regular 8-port KVM switch such as expreZo EZswitch or CS1308.

2a) Position the KVM switch by the DVRs. Use one KVM extender to extend a keyboard and a mouse to the remote control point. Use the keyboard to switch between DVRs.

1b) Position KVM switch at the remote control point. Use eight (8) USB extenders to extend each DVR to a port on the KVM switch. Use the front panel buttons on the KVM switch to switch between DVRs.

All extensions will use CATx cabling as specified by the extenders you choose.

If you don't want to use a keyboard for switching and/or don't want to have eight runs of extension between the NOC and the remote control point, we recommend going with option 1a.

Feel free to respond here or call with any questions/clarifications you may have.

P.S. It is better that you sign-in before you reply to this thread (instead of posting as a guest). This will allow you to easily look up this conversation anytime, anywhere, with just one mouse click. Learn more...