1. It is better to sign-up/log-in before you post your question (or reply to an existing thread), instead of posting as a guest.
    This will allow you to easily look up the Q&A sequence anytime, anywhere, with just one mouse click. Learn more...

You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google+ accounts, or create a KVMGalore HelpCenter user-name/password.
    Dismiss Notice

Switch DisplayPort KVM switch

Discussion in 'KVM' started by Alex N, Oct 26, 2016.

1. Alex N

Alex N New member

I’m looking for the following specs on a desktop KVM switch:
    1) 4-ports
    2) Single monitor port DisplayPort v1.2, but supports daisy-chaining from one monitor to the next (not connecting two monitors directly to the computer or KVM)
    3) Port emulation (to maintain connection with computers that are not currently selected so that when you switch to it, the computer doesn’t have to recognize the video & USB again)

Can you recommend one?

2. KVMGalore Expert

KVMGalore Expert Staff Member

Not sure what you mean by "supports daisy-chaining from one monitor to the next". Please advise.

Otherwise... the following models could work for you:
    DPN-4P
    AdderView 4 PRO DisplayPort

3. Alex N

Alex N New member

DisplayPort v1.2 supports Multi-Stream Transport (MST), which provides the ability to connect the video as follows:

Computer —> KVM —> Monitor1 —> Monitor2

The Dell U2415 monitor supports this:
    http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/SLN295251/EN

I’m looking for a KVM that can pass on the MST signal.

The AdderView 4 PRO DisplayPort only supports DisplayPort v1.1, so that won't work.

It appears that the DPN-4P has DisplayPort v1.2, but just can you confirm that it supports 1) daisy-chaining of monitors and 2) provide video emulation so that it maintains the connection with computers that are not selected so that when it is selected the computer doesn’t have to re-recognize the monitor?

Thanks.

4. KVMGalore Expert

Unfortunately, it appears DPN-4P does not support these two features.

5. Alex N

Alex N New member

Thank you for the info. Do you have any other KVM switches that support those requirements?

6. KVMGalore Expert

SmartAVI is testing its DPN-4P to confirm its support of video daisy-chaining. SmartAVI is also developing a new model that WILL support video emulation. It is scheduled to be releases in the 1st quarter of 2017.

We're still confirming whether CS782DP supports the two functions you require (which we think it does), but this one is a 2-port switch.

7. Alex N

Alex N New member

Thank you very much for looking into this. I greatly appreciate it! I look forward to the results.

Thanks.

8. KVMGalore Expert

We've been able to confirm that CS782DP does support daisy-chaining video.