1. It is better to sign-up/log-in before you post your question (or reply to an existing thread), instead of posting as a guest.
    This will allow you to easily look up the Q&A sequence anytime, anywhere, with just one mouse click. Learn more...

You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google+ accounts, or create a KVMGalore HelpCenter user-name/password.
    Dismiss Notice

Multi-screen DisplayPort matrix

Discussion in 'KVM' started by Pawel, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Pawel

Pawel New member

I'm looking for a video switch or a DisplayPort matrix for my following setup:

I have a :
    Mac Pro with +3 mini display port outputs
    PC with +3 display port outputs
    3 x ASUS PG279Q monitors, 2560 x 1440 @ 144 Hz

And I want to be able to choose which signal will be sent to which monitor.
    It can be 3 separate boxes with switches for each monitor, or a single switch for all.

The thing is I don't want just to just which signal will be transmitted on all three, I want to choose the signal on each screen separate, so lets say I can operate on the middle screen with the PC and having signal from the Mac on the left and right screen.

You can see the config I drew on imgur:

http://imgur.com/zrrpFet

2. KVMGalore Expert

KVMGalore Expert Staff Member

1) What about keyboard/mouse?
    In your drawings, we only noticed one set of keyboard/mouse connected to the PC.
    It is our understanding then that you do not need the switch to control the keyboard/mouse. Is this correct?

2) What about audio?
    In your drawings, we noticed that TOSLink audio outputs from both computers are running into a separate box.
    It is our understanding then that you are controlling the audio through a box you already have and do not need the video-switching solution to take care of audio. Is this correct?

P.S. To respond, it is better that you sign-in before you reply to this thread (instead of posting as a guest). This will allow you to easily look up this conversation anytime, anywhere, with just one mouse click. Learn more...

3. Pawel

Pawel New member

Hi, yes sorry the picture shows only devices with cables, because I was trying to understand how I want to manage the cables.

The Mac unit will have separate bluetooth mouse and keyboard. The audio will also be sent through a separate switch.

It's not a problem if the product you will offer has the options of KVM but they're not necessary. The most important is the lowest latency ability to choose each screen separately.

4. KVMGalore Expert

KVMGalore Expert Staff Member

Sorry for the delayed response.

A number of things to consider:

1) You'll be hard pressed to find a quality switch that natively supports DisplayPort, let alone mini-DisplayPort. Your best bet is to use HDMI with simple HDMI-DisplayPort adapters on the computers' end (the monitors have HDMI connectors so you won't need adapters coming from the switch).

2) The resolution you're monitors support exceeds 1080p, and so we must make sure the selected switch will support your required 2560 x 1440 resolution, assuming the Mac Pro and the PC video output is also 2560 x 1440.

3) If you want to deploy one box, it should be a matrix video switch supporting 6 inputs and 3 outputs, such as:
    HDR-8x8-Plus
    KD-8x8CSK
    4K Ultra HD 8x8 Matrix for HDMI
    KD-HD6x6Lite

4) Alternatively (as you suggested), you could go with 3x 2-port switches, such as KD-2x1CSK.