1. It is better to sign-up/log-in before you post your question (or reply to an existing thread), instead of posting as a guest.
    This will allow you to easily look up the Q&A sequence anytime, anywhere, with just one mouse click. Learn more...

You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google+ accounts, or create a KVMGalore HelpCenter user-name/password.
    Dismiss Notice

Multi-screen Dual-view KVM switch

Discussion in 'KVM' started by Jason C, Jul 12, 2016.

1. Jason C

Jason C New member

I have a desktop computer and a laptop port replicator I want to connect to a KVM switch and setup a dual-monitor console (two monitors to be used as an extended desktop, one keyboard, one mouse).

The desktop has DisplayPort, HDMI and DVI-I (I believe) - see attached image.

The laptop port replicator has 2x DVI- (I believe) and 2x DisplayPort - see attached images.

The two monitors (each) have 1x VGA and 1x DisplayPort - see attached image.

Initially I purchased , but I wasn't sure it's compatible with my hardware, and when I called you guys to confirm I was advised that it might not be, hence cancelled the order and awaiting your recommendation.

Can you recommend a dual-view KVM switch that will work with my hardware?

Attached Files:

2. KVMGalore Expert

KVMGalore Expert Staff Member

First we must confirm what type DVI connector you have on your desktop (looks may be deceiving - it looks like it's DVI-I, but some manufacturers use a DVI-I connector but only support DVI-D).

To do this - do one of the following:
    a) Lookup the manufacturer's technical specification on the DVI connector to confirm what type DVI signal it actually supports, or

b) Using a simple DVI-VGA adapter (which at one point you mentioned that you have), connect the DVI port to the VGA port of your monitor. If the monitor is showing video from your desktop - then it's DVI-I.
    If the monitor is not showing video from your desktop - then it's DVI-D.

Please advise.

P.S. If you wish to respond or follow-up, it is better that you sign-in before you reply to this thread (instead of posting as a guest). This will allow you to easily look up this conversation anytime, anywhere, with just one mouse click. Learn more...

3. KVMGalore Expert

Next, we should confirm that both your machines actually support dual-video.

The Laptop-replicator's picture clearly shows two video outputs. The desktop, however, is questionable, since it appears to have three different video outputs, which might suggests that the video card only supports one concurrent output, not two.

To confirm this, please consult with the desktop's video technical specifications, or try to simultaneously connect two monitors to any of the three video outputs to see whether both monitors display video.

4. Jason C

Jason C New member

On the DVI connection on my desktop, I have indeed used an adapter which converted it from DVI-VGA. I had one monitor hooked up with this connection and the second monitor hooked up via display port. Again both hooked into the desktop. Both screens worked fine, so my desktop does support dual monitors. From what you stated above, it is a DVI-I.

The laptop's port replicator has two DVI-D and two display ports. I use the same replicator at my office, same laptop and have two monitors plugged into the two DVI-D ports and it works fine.
    At home, I used the two display ports and it worked fine, so this replicator does indeed support dual monitors for either application.

Thanks!
    Jason

5. KVMGalore Expert

Excellent - good to know that your desktop does indeed support dual-video.

It appears then that your best bet would be to go with DisplayPort, since both your monitors support it, as does your laptop replicator (2x) and desktop (1x). For the 2nd desktop connection we recommend you use the HDMI port, with an HDMI-DisplayPort adapter.

As to the switch, you could go with SV231DPDDUA.

6. Jason C

Jason C New member

Thank you .

First question I see you created a store credit vs refund. I assume this was done to offset a future purchase. I am OK with that but your cost on this particular switch is higher on this site vs. Amazon. Can you price match? Was I charged a fee for cancelling?

I assume I would need to buy additional display port cables . I only have 2 plus 2 VGA.

Does this switch include any cables for sound?

Thanks
    Jason

7. KVMGalore Expert

This will be handled separately by Customer Service.

As indicated at the bottom of the product page, included with this product are:
    1 - 2 Port Dual Display DisplayPort KVM
    1 - Universal Power Adapter (NA/EU/UK) and AU in Australia
    1 - Manual