1. It is better to sign-up/log-in before you post your question (or reply to an existing thread), instead of posting as a guest.
    This will allow you to easily look up the Q&A sequence anytime, anywhere, with just one mouse click. Learn more...

You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google+ accounts, or create a KVMGalore HelpCenter user-name/password.
    Dismiss Notice

Extender Extending access to two computers

Discussion in 'KVM' started by Matt M, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Matt M

Matt M New member

I have two (may grow to four) computers closed up in a secured location, and I want to access and control them from a console located about 100 feet away.
    I have no need for local consoles at the computers' location.

The video is DVI running 1920x1080 maximum resolution. Keyboard/mouse are USB.

I was looking at KE6900 and was wondering...
    1) Will this accomplish my need?
    2) Are there any other solutions (perhaps less expensive) that you can recommend?

2. KVMGalore Expert

KVMGalore Expert Staff Member

Yes, but KE6900 will be an overkill for your requirements, because it is a system designed to provide access to computers utilizing an Ethernet network. To make this happen you will need the following:
    2x KE6900T (one for each computer)
    1x KE6900R (for the remote console)
    All three boxes should be connected to a Gigabit Ethernet switch.

Yes. You can deploy a 4-port DVI-USB KVM switch. Then, connect a DVI-USB KVM extender to the switch's console port and run a dedicated CATx cable from the extender's transmitter (by the computers) to the extender's receiver (by the console). Connect your console to the extender's receiver to control anyone of the computers connected to the switch. Use hot-key keyboard combinations to switch between the computers.

Have a look at these 4-port DVI-USB KVM switches. Make sure to select a model that supports Hot-Key keyboard switching.

Have a look at these DVI-USB KVM extenders. Anyone of these (excluding the ones described as over IP) will do the extension job for you.