1. It is better to sign-up/log-in before you post your question (or reply to an existing thread), instead of posting as a guest.
    This will allow you to easily look up the Q&A sequence anytime, anywhere, with just one mouse click. Learn more...

You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google+ accounts, or create a KVMGalore HelpCenter user-name/password.
    Dismiss Notice

Matrix HDMI matrix video switch

Discussion in 'Audio/Video' started by Jeff, May 15, 2014.

1. Jeff

Jeff New member

I'm looking for a video (matrix/mux). I have a NTI 32X8 VGA switch.

I want to move up to digital switch (HDMI) 32x16 RS-232. I will need cables to go with if you can do it in my budget. 50-100' for the inputs and 100' for the outputs.

Each of the 32 video sources is a computer, currently using a dual-head video card for extended desktop on two screens used by the workstation's user. Only one of these video outputs needs to be fed into the switch.

2. KVMGalore Expert

KVMGalore Expert Staff Member

[​IMG]Conceptually, we can offer you the following solution:

1) 32 workstations will each have a video transmitter connected to one of the video outputs, sending the video to the matrix switch over CATx. This transmitter will have local pass-through which will allow for a local monitor to get connected, eliminating the need to split the video.

2) Matrix switch will receive 32 inputs from 32 receivers, which are receiving signal from computers as described in (1).

3) 16 matrix outputs will get connected to a single box consisting of 16 video transmitters, sending the video to 16 screens over CATx.

4) Each of 16 screens will get connected to a receiver which is receiving signal from the matrix as described in (3).

This can be achieved with either DVI or HDMI, your choice.

3. Jeff

Jeff New member

1) We have power issues that don't allow us to add devices that require power (such as Transmitters) at the workstations. Thus, we're looking to use coax video cables that don't require power.
    2) Out of the 16 outputs on the switch, we prefer 8 to be HDMI and 8 to be DVI.

4. KVMGalore Expert

The inability to provide power for the extension of HDMI signal from the 32 workstations while still maintaining the original video quality can be overcome by an extender that derives its power from the computer's USB port, such as AdderLink DV100.
    [​IMG]

5. KVMGalore Expert

[​IMG] Running HDMI cables for distances longer than 25 feet becomes a physically cumbersome feat. It also drains power from the source and increases the probability of a significantly degraded video quality unless cables with built-in amplification are used. These cables tend to get pricey too.

HDMI extension over CATx is a lot more desireable in terms of retaining the original quality of the video signal.

Addressing your power issues - we can provide HDMI extension from the 32 workstation that will require no power supply.

The 32x16 matrix is powered via a single power supply.

The remaining issue is the availability of power by the 16 screens:

Is there a power source available by each screen? (110V or 24V or 12V or 5V)?

Is there a USB port available by each screen?