1. It is better to sign-up/log-in before you post your question (or reply to an existing thread), instead of posting as a guest.
    This will allow you to easily look up the Q&A sequence anytime, anywhere, with just one mouse click. Learn more...

You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google+ accounts, or create a KVMGalore HelpCenter user-name/password.
    Dismiss Notice

Switch KVM for VGA & DVI/DP

Discussion in 'KVM' started by Mike Reed, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Guest

I have 3 computers that I would like to setup with a KVM. Computers listed below:
    1. HP EliteBook 820 using HP Ultraslim Docking Station Quest 2
      1. This has 2 DisplayPorts and 1 VGA port
    2. HP EliteDesk 8300
      1. This has 1 DVI and 1 DisplayPort, but can not drive 2 separate monitors, only 1 to be connected
    3. Dell OptiPlex 990
      1. 1 DMS-59 connector with dual VGA connections
    I use a Microsoft Sculpt Ergonomic keyboard and mouse, wireless, which I know will be hit or miss.

I would like the KVM to keep the display ports active at all times to reboots don't need to be active on the KVM to get correct resolutions. But can live without if needed.

I purchased the IOGear GCS1644 and could not get it to display anything on the monitors, even after talking to support.

I would like the standard USB/Audio/Mic sharing as well.

I have not had much luck finding what I want, hoping the experts can help.

Thanks

Mike

2. KVMGalore Expert

KVMGalore Expert Staff Member

Not sure what you mean by this - could you please elaborate?

P.S. It is better that you first sign-up before you reply to this thread (instead of responding as a guest). This will allow you to easily look up this conversation anytime, anywhere, with just one mouse click. Learn more...

3. reem01

reem01 Member

I think I mean I want a KVM that supports DDC/EDID. My older single monitor VGA KVM had to be on the PC being rebooted, or it couldn't get the proper monitor resolution. It isn't a make or break deal, but would be very nice.

4. KVMGalore Expert

Which cables are you using to connect your computers to the IOGEAR GCS1644 KVM switch? Are you using the cables that originally came with the switch?

5. reem01

reem01 Member

I tried the original cables and others that I purchased, nothing ever displayed. If I used the same cables and bypassed the KVM it worked fine. The audio/USB switch just fine.

6. KVMGalore Expert

7. reem01

reem01 Member

My monitors are the HP Z23i. They have 1 VGA; 1 DisplayPort (with HDCP support); 1 DVI-D (with HDCP support).

8. KVMGalore Expert

Which monitor-port did you use to connect the monitor to the IOGEAR GCS1644 KVM switch?
    VGA? or
    DisplayPort? or
    DVI-D?

9. reem01

reem01 Member

I used a DP to DVI connection.

10. KVMGalore Expert

DisplayPort connection on the monitor to the DVI connection on the KVM switch, you mean?

11. reem01

reem01 Member

12. KVMGalore Expert

Which computer-video connectors are you using to connect to the KVM switch:
    HP EliteBook 820 - DisplayPort or VGA?
    HP EliteDesk 8300 - DVI or DisplayPort?

13. reem01

reem01 Member

I started with the EliteDesk 8300 only first, and it was connected the following way:
    • DVI from PC to DVI A on KVM
    • DisplayPort from PC to DVI B on KVM
    Those ports directly to the monitors, DVI to DVI, and DP to DVI, worked fine. Connected through the KVM they do not work.

If you would rather discuss on the phone let me know, would be happy to call.

14. KVMGalore Expert

Connecting the EliteDesk 8300: DisplayPort from PC to DVI B on KVM - what kind of adapter (DisplayPort to DVI) did you use?

15. reem01

reem01 Member

I am using a Rosewill DisplayPort to DVI cable. (Rosewill 6-Feet 28AWG DisplayPort to DVI Cable, White (RCDC-14006)

16. KVMGalore Expert

Alright....
    There are a number of issues here, non of which, however, explain why the KVM switch is showing no video.

1) EliteDesk 8300 connections
    You've indicated EliteDesk 8300 can not drive 2 separate monitors, yet you've connected them both. This may cause problems - only one video output should be connected.

2) Mixing analog (VGA) and digital video
    VGA video (on your HP EliteBook 820 and Dell OptiPlex 990) is analog.
    DisplayPort connectors (such as the ones you used on your monitors) are typically used for digital video, although they are supposed to support analog signals as well.
    GCS1644 switch uses DVI-I connectors which are typically used for digital video, although they are supposed to support analog signals as well.
    Yet, mixing analog video and digital video in one setup can easily create problems. Even though the switch's connectors are suppose to support both, the switch electronics may be designed to support either analog or digital, but may not be designed to support a mix of the two.

3) Testing with original cables
    The cables that originally come with GCS1644 are DVI-D cables, which will not support analog video signals at all. This means these cables will not pass-thru the video signal from your Dell OptiPlex 990, or from the VGA port on your HP EliteBook 820.

Before concluding that the switch is defective, a few more tests are recommended:
    Using the DisplayPort-to-DVI cable you've described, connect only the one DisplayPort on your HP EliteDesk 8300 to one DVI port on the switch's port #1A.
    Make sure computer's USB is also connected to the switch.
    Use similar DisplayPort-to-DVI cable to connect one of your monitors to DVI console port A on the switch.
    Connect a USB keyboard and mouse to the switch's console ports.
    Connect the switch to a power outlet using the power adapter that came with it.
    Make no other connections.
    There should be no issues with you being able to see the video from your HP EliteDesk DisplayPort with these connections, if the switch is not defective.

Let us know the results of this connection test.

17. reem01

reem01 Member

I appreciate the information above. Here are the results of my testing.

DisplayPort (PC) to DVI (KVM Port 1A or 1B)
    PC USB connected to Port 1USB
    USB keyboard and mouse plugged into appropriate ports on KVM
    DVI (Monitor) to DVI (KVM Console Port A or B)
    Result - Success

Change to DisplayPort (Monitor) to DVI (KVM Port A)
    Result - Fail

For some reason the DP to DVI cables will not work between the monitor and the console ports, but they do work to the CPU1-4 ports.

I now have the EliteBook 820 docking station connected as well, with DP to DVI cables, and both machines are up and running. The EliteDesk 8300 is connected with a DP to DVI, and a DVI to DVI. Both monitors work, just in a mirrored configuration, which is fine.

How do you suggest I try and get the OptiPlex 990 working with the VGA port? I will try some testing on my end, but your knowledge would be appreciated. I may need to buy a DVI or DP card for that machine to get it to work, so I can look into that as well.

Again, thank you for assisting, glad to have this working finally.

Mike

18. KVMGalore Expert

Glad to hear you had some success! :)

19. KVMGalore Expert

As to connecting the OptiPlex 990 with its two VGA outputs, it is likely it will not work for two possible reasons:
    a) The switch may not be able to handle a mix of digital and analog video (we know other high-end switches have the same problem);
    b) Even if the switch CAN handle a mix of digital and analog video, you will likely not be able to use the DVI port on your monitor (since it is likely a DVI-D, and you already know that the DP port on your monitor is not working as expected.

It looks like your best bet is to get a dual-DVI video card for the OptiPlex 990, thus using digital video across the board.

20. KVMGalore Expert

The monitor configuration is controlled via your operating system and/or the video card on your computer. You can change these setting to achieve extended desktop configuration.