1. It is better to sign-up/log-in before you post your question (or reply to an existing thread), instead of posting as a guest.
    This will allow you to easily look up the Q&A sequence anytime, anywhere, with just one mouse click. Learn more...

You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google+ accounts, or create a KVMGalore HelpCenter user-name/password.
    Dismiss Notice

Splitter KVM to switch HDMI

Discussion in 'Audio/Video' started by Del M, Oct 15, 2018.

1. Del M

Del M New member

I'm looking for a KVM to switch HDMI (4k if possible) and both analog audio in and analog audio out to an output. But I only have one USB source (a video camera) and I would like it to send video from this camera to either output regardless of which inputs were being switched. Of course some sort of USB emulation will be needed to enable “keep alive” status on the USB ports.

This requirement is the main issue as most KVMs will switch both USB inputs as well, but I have only one USB input. Perhaps you have a KVM that does this.
    If not, perhaps I need some sort of USB splitter that feeds the KVM with the same USB signal at both input ports, but neither USB switches nor USB hubs work quite like this.

The other requirement is a means to initiate the switching either by remote contact closure or serial device. If the device has a remote manual switch I could easily hack it to provide contact closure, so that would be a solution.

Do you have equipment that will do this?

I have a block diagram if that would help.

2. KVMGalore Expert

KVMGalore Expert Staff Member

Hello Del,

Thank you for reaching out.

We are not understanding your requirement, partially because...
    - No switch is needed if you only have one source
    - No KVM is needed if you don't need to support a keyboard
    - You speak of audio and HDMI video, but you refer to USB being your source.

So - yes - please upload your diagram and hopefully it would shed more light on your application.

Note: To continue this discussion - please respond via KVMGalore HelpCenter thread, NOT via e-mail.

3. Del M

Del M New member

I’ve included a diagram of the system to help describe what I want to accomplish:

The user’s keyboard, mouse and monitor are here replaced by an AV Switcher which will pass video to a display and audio system. It can mostly be considered to be a user console.

The yellow highlight shows the USB path from the single webcam to either PC 1 or 2 when switched. The key point is that the USB follows the audio and video to whichever PC (or Mac mini in this case) is selected. The USB webcam video is converted to HDMI in the PC and sent to the Switcher.

As for control (orange highlight), I need a remote controller--either a contact closure (could be fashioned from a remote push button) or a serial port.

I thank you in advance for your help.

Del

Attached Files:

4. KVMGalore Expert

KVMGalore Expert Staff Member

Hello Del,

Important note: To continue this discussion - please respond via KVMGalore HelpCenter thread, NOT via e-mail.

Thank you for the diagram and further description of your application. Unfortunately, we still don't have a complete understanding of what you're looking to accomplish.

It might be best if you called us during business hours to discuss over the phone.
    1-800-636-3434