1. It is better to sign-up/log-in before you post your question (or reply to an existing thread), instead of posting as a guest.
    This will allow you to easily look up the Q&A sequence anytime, anywhere, with just one mouse click. Learn more...

You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google+ accounts, or create a KVMGalore HelpCenter user-name/password.
    Dismiss Notice

KVM KVM with 5.1 audio

Discussion in 'KVM' started by teri, Sep 7, 2015.

Tags:
  1. teri

teri Guest

I can't seem to find a KVM switch with anything but 2.1 audio. I need 5.1.

Any suggestions?

2. KVMGalore Expert

KVMGalore Expert Staff Member

Sure, but we need some more info to point you in the right direction:
    1) How many computers are you looking to control via the KVM switch?
    2) What type of video do the computers have? DVI? VGA? other (please specify)?
    3) Are the computers using USB keyboard/mouse?

P.S. It is better that you first sign-up before you reply to this thread (instead of responding as a guest). This will allow you to easily look up this conversation anytime, anywhere, with just one mouse click. Learn more...

3. Teri

Teri Guest

1) need to control two computers
    2) VGA
    3) yes USB keyboard/mouse

4. KVMGalore Expert

[​IMG]Yes.... most KVM+audio switches support stereo audio only, with only a few supporting 2.1 audio.

We weren't able to find a KVM switch supporting 5.1 audio, but we do have a couple that support 7.1 audio, one of which is the 2-port MiniView PRO. The supported video, however is digital DVI.

Nevertheless, we hope this helps.

5. Teri

Teri Guest

Thanks - so I have a question:
    I assume I can use the 7.1 with my 5.1 ,but for the video is there perhaps an adapter I could get so I could plug the VGA into the DVI connection ?

6. KVMGalore Expert

An adapter for the video won't work (see knowledge-base article: Video - Analog vs. Digital).

Your VGA video is analog.
    The DVI-D video supported by the switch is digital.
    These are incompatible with one another.

Optional solutions:
    1) You can use a DVI to VGA video converter from your VGA computers to convert the signal to digital, or
    2) You can replace the video cards in your computers to be DVI-D cards, or
    3) You can create an external DVI video card from your USB port on each computer which you will then use to connect to the switch.