1. It is better to sign-up/log-in before you post your question (or reply to an existing thread), instead of posting as a guest.
    This will allow you to easily look up the Q&A sequence anytime, anywhere, with just one mouse click. Learn more...

You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google+ accounts, or create a KVMGalore HelpCenter user-name/password.
    Dismiss Notice

Switch KVMP switch and DVI to VGA adapter

Discussion in 'KVM' started by Michael Karman, Dec 24, 2013.

1. Michael Karman

Michael Karman New member

I have a home PC and a work laptop that I want to share peripherals with. I currently use the IOGEAR MiniView, but it is only VGA compatible. I recently installed a 27 inch IPS LED flat panel monitor, so I want to upgrade my KVMP switch to accept DVI. I am considering the CS1762A - CubiQ DVI KVMP Switch, 2-Ports Model No. CS1762A.

The question I have is that my work laptop only has a VGA port, so I wanted to use the DVI/F to VGA/M Adapter Model No. F2E4261.

Will this adapter allow my laptop to connect to a DVI KVMP switch and monitor?

2. KVMGalore Expert

KVMGalore Expert Staff Member

[​IMG]It depends on whether your DVI monitor has a DVI-I or DVI-D connector.

DVI-D would mean it can only accept a digital video signal. VGA video is analog, and the two are not compatible.

The analog video signal from your laptop will be passed (using an adapter, like the one you mentioned) to the switch and from the switch will be passed to the monitor.

If the monitor has DVI-D (meaning it can accept digital video only) then it will not know how to interpret the analog signal and it will not display it.

If the monitor has DVI-I (meaning it can accept digital or analog video) then it will know how to interpret the analog signal and it will display it.

For this to work, however, you must use a KVM switch that supports DVI-I. The one you mentioned does, but the included cables only support digital video.

Learn more about controlling a mix of DVI and VGA computers using a KVM switch.