1. It is better to sign-up/log-in before you post your question (or reply to an existing thread), instead of posting as a guest.
    This will allow you to easily look up the Q&A sequence anytime, anywhere, with just one mouse click. Learn more...

You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google+ accounts, or create a KVMGalore HelpCenter user-name/password.
    Dismiss Notice

Multi-screen Mixing VGA and DVI with AdderView 4 PRO DVI MultiScreen

Discussion in 'KVM' started by Rami S, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Rami S

Rami S Member

[​IMG]It is my understanding that AdderView 4 PRO DVI MultiScreen switches use DVI-I connectors.

I am therefore assuming the switch can accept both digital video and analog video.

I have two dual-head computers. One has DVI-D video, the other has VGA.

I am wondering, if hook up both computers to this AdderView 4 PRO DVI MultiScreen switch, and use two monitors with DVI-I connectors - will the switch be able to detect that video from one computer is analog and video from the other computer is digital?

Will this setup work with this switch?

2. Vic @ ADDER

Vic @ ADDER Guest

It is my understanding that AdderView 4 PRO DVI MultiScreen switches use DVI-I connectors. Yes

I am therefore assuming the switch can accept both digital video and analog video. Yes, using converters. We make DVI and VGA specific models.

I have two dual-head computers. One has DVI-D video, the other has VGA. You need to convert both to analog and use VGA model or digital and use DVI. We typically suggested converting to VGA but since you have DVI-D this is not possible.

I am wondering, if hook up both computers to this AdderView 4 PRO DVI MultiScreen switch, and use two monitors with DVI-I connectors - will the switch be able to detect that video from one computer is analog and video from the other computer is digital? I'd suggest changing the VGA video card to DVI so both computers are DVI and then leverage the AV4 Pro DVI Multiscreen.

Will this setup work with this switch?

3. Rami S

Rami S Member

Why would I need a converter if a DVI-I connector you're using is able to recognize both digital and analog video?

4. Vic

Vic Guest

This is a DDC EDID issue. Anytime you connect a monitor to a video card they will exchange DDC EDID information to establish common ground. The problem here is that you are describing a scenario where one computer would be using purely digital EDID information while the other is using purely analog EDID information. Your monitor is only going to deal with one or the other. In other words, you cannot mix and match digital and analog EDID across the same board on the KVM switch.

If your scenario was two dual head computers where each one had a DVI-D and a VGA output, that would work fine. You could connect the DVI ports to the bottom row and the VGA to the top row using a simple VGA to DVI-I adaptor. You would then make a DVI monitor connection on the bottom row for the user and an analog connection again using a simple analog to DVI-I adaptor. The bottom board of the switch would then use all digital EDID and the top board would use all analog EDID.