1. It is better to sign-up/log-in before you post your question (or reply to an existing thread), instead of posting as a guest.
    This will allow you to easily look up the Q&A sequence anytime, anywhere, with just one mouse click. Learn more...

You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google+ accounts, or create a KVMGalore HelpCenter user-name/password.
    Dismiss Notice

IP Remote KVM through VPN connections

Discussion in 'KVM' started by bas, Sep 18, 2014.

1. bas

bas New member

I have an application where I am controlling a "test" PC in a lab. It is accompanied with a "host" PC which can turn off/on the power etc. I'm looking for a remote KVM to help control the "test" PC. The "test" PC has USB and HDMI which would need to be forwarded.

I am using a laptop which connects to the corporate network through VPN. Our company's network policy does not allow non-company owned PC's (i.e. IP KVM receiver) to connect to the network, although there may be a possibility to do port forwarding, tunneling through SSH from my laptop to the "host" PC, and make the link to the KVM that way. This would only work if the KVM would use TCP with a fixed number of ports. (UDP is not supported through SSH tunnels).

Another option is a USB KVM sender and receiver that can connect to my "host" and my laptop respectively, but I did not spot such a product on your webpage.

Do you have any suggestions?

2. KVMGalore Expert

KVMGalore Expert Staff Member

A USB KVM sender and receiver (extender) extends a computer's console. This will not work because your laptop is not a console, it is a computer.

You can, however, use a single port KVM over IP gateway to access your "test" PC.

[​IMG]All you need to do is setup the KVM over IP gateway on the VPN that your laptop is on - that's all that matters. This will gain you access.

Since your "test" PC has HDMI (digital) video, you will need a KVM over IP gateway that supports digital video, such as AdderLink Digital iPEPS.

Since AdderLink Digital iPEPS uses DVI, you will need to use a DVI-HDMI adapter.