1. It is better to sign-up/log-in before you post your question (or reply to an existing thread), instead of posting as a guest.
    This will allow you to easily look up the Q&A sequence anytime, anywhere, with just one mouse click. Learn more...

You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google+ accounts, or create a KVMGalore HelpCenter user-name/password.
    Dismiss Notice

Reverse KVM Reverse KVM w/ long runs

Discussion in 'KVM' started by James N, Aug 2, 2016.

1. James N

James N New member

I'm looking to access one computer from two consoles which may be up to 75 feet away from the computer.

I'm looking at CS231, and I'm wondering if it has any built-in signal amplification that will make sure the video and USB signals will not degrade over such a long run?

If not, I should be able to use active-boosting cables to cover the distance, unless you can recommend a different way?

2. KVMGalore Expert

KVMGalore Expert Staff Member

CS231 does not support any signal amplification and typically supports peripherals using their originally-attached cables which are typically about 6 feet long.

You could use coax booster cables to extend the runs from the reverse-KVM to your two consoles, but you may get better results by using KVM extenders instead. These extenders consist of two boxes: a transmitter (which should be located by the reverse-KVM) and a receiver (which should be located by the remote console), connected together using a CATx cable. Note that the CATx cable serves as a cable, and should not be part of an Ethernet network.

Some specific VGA-USB KVM extender to look at could include CE100, UX-PLUS, GCE500U.