1. It is better to sign-up/log-in before you post your question (or reply to an existing thread), instead of posting as a guest.
    This will allow you to easily look up the Q&A sequence anytime, anywhere, with just one mouse click. Learn more...

You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google+ accounts, or create a KVMGalore HelpCenter user-name/password.
    Dismiss Notice

Reverse KVM Reverse USB KM switch connected to mice and keyboards via CAT-5

Discussion in 'KVM' started by George, May 22, 2014.

1. George

George Guest

I am an end-user and I wanted to know if you have a basic solution where a single computer can be remotely (up to 150') controlled by 4 users via mouse and keyboard over cat-5? Something similar to the NTI VGA USB KVM Splitter/Extender "http://www.kvmgalore.com/shopping/vopex-usb-kvm-splittersextenders-nti-c-5263.html" but without video or audio support or the need for additional USB outputs for peripherals. Just a box controlling a single computer via USB and connected to remote mice and keyboards via CAT5.

2. KVMGalore Expert

KVMGalore Expert Staff Member

Reverse KVM systems typically support multiple consoles in proximity to the box. The NTI VOPEX USB KVM Splitters/Extenders is the only KVM splitter we offer that has extension over CATx built into it (although remote/receiver units must be purchased separately).

We are not aware of similar systems that only support USB (keyboard/mouse) splitting and/or extension.

You may use the NTI VOPEX USB KVM Splitters/Extenders models that do not support remote USB peripherals along with remote/receiver units that do not support audio (these are less expensive), and simply not connect the video.

Alternatively, you could use a USB KVM splitter (such as CS231 or VOPEX USB KVM Splitters) in conjunction with USB extenders over CATx to extend the keyboard/mouse only.

3. George

George Guest

Does ATEN make a 4 port version of the CS231?

I think all I really need is an IR controlled USB hub with 8 ports and then separately I can buy USB over CAT5 extenders. Do you have these or know who might offer them?

4. KVMGalore Expert

KVMGalore Expert Staff Member

No, ATEN does not offer a 4-port version of their CS231.

We recommend you do not use a USB hub since it doesn't have the user-management features built into it. When attaching multiple consoles to one computer, it is imperative to make sure only one console has control of the computer at any given time. Reverse KVMs and KVM Splitters have this functionality built-in. USB hubs do not.