1. It is better to sign-up/log-in before you post your question (or reply to an existing thread), instead of posting as a guest.
    This will allow you to easily look up the Q&A sequence anytime, anywhere, with just one mouse click. Learn more...

You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google+ accounts, or create a KVMGalore HelpCenter user-name/password.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Serial control of Smart-AVI HDN-8P

Discussion in 'KVM' started by notly1988, Aug 10, 2018.

1. notly1988

notly1988 New member

I have purchased from KVMGalore a Smart-AVI HDN-8P and a Raritan RAV-IP encoder/decoder pair that are working OK. Although re-establishing the IP-video connection when it gets lost is difficult.

But what I need is to be able to switch between systems on the KVM without leaving my desk.

The HDN-8P has the capability to switch between systems manually with a switch on the box, by keyboard key combination, or by RS232 serial connection.

The RS232 (I believe) requires a terminal session between the controlling user's system and the KVM switch. That requirement makes it a maintenance problem.

The keyboard key-combination option is the correct solution, but it does not work. That is I press the key combination and there is no result at the KVM: the port to the systems does not change.

I believe the problem is related to the RAV-IP pair that allows my keyboard, mouse, USB, and video to be located about 20' from the rack where the systems, RAV-IP encoder, and KVM switch are located.

The RAV-IP decoder has USB ports for the keyboard and mouse, and two additional USB ports, one of which I use for an audio headset. All of these operate normally. The RAV-IP encoder has external 'flat' USB ports and a 'square' USB port which I don't recall the precise name for. I connect to the Smart-AVI USB user system port using that square port on the RAV-IP encoder. Again, this works for the kb, mouse, and audio on the RAV-IP decoder.

The RAV-IP encoder, decoder also have 9-pin RS-232 ports which I have nothing to connect to on the decoder end. The HDN-8P also has a 9-pin RS-232 port. I could put a RS-232 serial cable between the RAV-IP encoder and the HDN-8P, but I believe there needs to be a terminal server session (like putty) running somewhere to make such a connection usable. Under these conditions, I have concluded there is no need to enable RS-232 communication on the RAV-IP pair.

The question is, why doesn't the HDN-8P recognize the keyboard combination commands to switch between servers using the working USB connections between the remote keyboard and the HDN-8P user-system USB input?

If there is no answer to that question, then I need a KVM switch that will accept keyboard port-switching control through the RAV-IP extender, or I need a KVM switch that will accept IR commands from a hand-held remote.

If the replacement KVM switch is the only option, I am willing to accept DVI connectors with DVI to HDMI cables.

Thanks,
    Andrade

2. KVMGalore Expert

KVMGalore Expert Staff Member

Andrade,

Thank you for reaching out on our HelpCenter. We need a few clarifications please:

How are your RAV-IP Encoder and Decoder connected to one another:
    1) Directly, using a dedicated CATx cable running between Encoder and Decoder units?
    2) Through an Ethernet network with both Encoder and Decoder units connected (via CATx cables) the the Ethernet switch?

The Smart-AVI HDN-8P has two USB console ports (which you were referring to as system port): One marked for keyboard; the other marked for mouse. We are assuming you are using a USB Type-A to USB Type-B cable to connect to the 'square' USB port (USB Type-B port) on RAV-IP Encoder. Is this cable connected to the Smart-AVI USB console port marked keyboard? or the one marked mouse?

It might be helpful to see a diagram depicting all your connections (if you have one), although we think we have a pretty good idea what your setup looks like based on your description.

Please advise.

Note: Please respond via KVMGalore HelpCenter thread, NOT via e-mail.

3. Michael SmartAVI

Michael SmartAVI Active member

Hello Andrade,

Thank you for your inquiry. I could not get the RAV-IP link to open, is this the unit you were talking about? RAV-IP

The "flat" USB are USB type A and the "square" USB are USB type B.

I cannot speak for the Raritan unit, but our engineers believe that the signal is not coming out as it should at the receiver end.

We tested this on our end and can say that if you use our USB2PRO extender to extend your USB, hotkeys will work.

You can connect the USB Type A connector into the keyboard dedicated port on the HDN-8P with the USB Type B side going into the USB2Pro Transmitter. From there you can use CAT5/6 to the receiver which will have the actual keyboard and mouse connected via USB Type A.

I believe swapping the Raritan for the USB2Pro will solve your issue.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,