1. It is better to sign-up/log-in before you post your question (or reply to an existing thread), instead of posting as a guest.
    This will allow you to easily look up the Q&A sequence anytime, anywhere, with just one mouse click. Learn more...

You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google+ accounts, or create a KVMGalore HelpCenter user-name/password.
    Dismiss Notice

Multi-screen Switching video between 2 monitors

Discussion in 'KVM' started by Gregg, Feb 5, 2015.

1. Gregg

Gregg Guest

We have a machine that has a rackmount PC. We want to add an additional rackmount PC.

There is an existing monitor, keyboard and mouse connected to the existing PC.

I plan to install a a new (small) monitor with the new PC and use a KVM to switch the KM connections, while swapping the video between the two monitors ( I need to keep the other monitor visible to the operator at all times, so they can switch back to controlling the main PC if they see a problem on that display).

I've tired myself out looking for a way to do that - so hopefully I can find some help here!

2. KVMGalore Expert

KVMGalore Expert Staff Member

We can definitely offer you ways to accomplish this.

Before we do that, we need to know what type video connector do both PCs have?
    VGA?
    DVI?

P.S. It is better that you sign-up before you reply (instead of posting as a guest). This will allow you to easily look up this conversation anytime, anywhere, with just one mouse click.

3. Gregg Senechal

Gregg Senechal New member

Okay - I signed up...

I just checked and the existing monitor (a 17" touchscreen) is a VGA connection. I haven't purchased the next monitor yet...

4. KVMGalore Expert

KVMGalore Expert Staff Member

VGA makes things easier.

There will be two components to this solution:
    1) Video splitter. The main computer that needs to be constantly monitored on one display (let's call it computer A) need to first get hooked up to a 2-port video splitter. One port gets connected to the display that will constantly show the video from computer A. Second port will get connected to A port on the KVM switch.
    Models to consider:
    VS82
    GVS72
    2) KVM switch. Computer port A will get connected to computer A keyboard/mouse, and to second port on video splitter. Computer port B will get connected to computer B video + keyboard/mouse. A console will get connected to KVM switch's console port.
    You use the KVM switch to switch keyboard/mouse control from computer A to computer B. When switched to computer A - both screens will display video from computer A. When switched to computer B - one screen will display video from computer A; the other screen (connected to the KVM switch) display video from computer B.
    Check out available 2-port KVM switches (you can sort these by price if you wish).