1. It is better to sign-up/log-in before you post your question (or reply to an existing thread), instead of posting as a guest.
    This will allow you to easily look up the Q&A sequence anytime, anywhere, with just one mouse click. Learn more...

You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google+ accounts, or create a KVMGalore HelpCenter user-name/password.
    Dismiss Notice

Extender Wireless KVM

Discussion in 'KVM' started by CODY MOORE, Oct 24, 2015.

1. CODY MOORE

CODY MOORE New member

Hello,

Well I looked in the forum before posting this and couldn't find anything similar to what I am looking for.

I have a friend who had a stroke and has very limited mobility, he is looking for a way to view his desktop PC located in his Computer room by using his big screen TV (HDMI/DVI but prefers to use HDMI) for viewing in his bedroom and either a very good wireless mouse/keyboard combo for input that will transmit all the way to his bedroom.

Bedroom to the Computer room is not LOS (Line of Sight) just 1 to 2 walls inbetween (wood and sheetrock). I would say the distance is probably no more then 30 feet apart, probably less. Not sure if there is a wireless KVM that will do this very well.

He prefers not to use wired and would rather use wireless, is there a way to do this within lets say up to 200 dollars?

Thanks in advance

2. KVMGalore Expert

KVMGalore Expert Staff Member

This might be too much of a tall order, on a number of counts, but let's examine your request one issue at a time.

If we understood you correctly, you would like to have a wireless KVM extender, wirelessly sending the video from the computer in the computer room to the big-screen TV in the bedroom, and having the computer accept keyboard/mouse input from a wireless keyboard and mouse used in the bedroom.

The problem is - such wireless* KVM extender is scarce, and when you do find one - it doesn't work well.

Since the user will (most likely) be operating the keyboard/mouse while at some distance from the TV (as oppose to using a computer console in which the monitor, keyboard and mouse are in proximity to one another), we'd recommend to split the solution into two:

1) Video extension. Here you may be at luck and be able to wirelessly extend HDMI video from the computer to the big-screen TV in the bedroom using a wireless HDMI extender such as Wireless for HDMI 5 GHz LR Extender.

2) Use a wired (CAT-5) USB extender to extend the keyboard/mouse. Make sure the extender supports plugging in at least two USB devices (keyboard and mouse in your case), such as with UEH4002 or USB2Pro or GefenToolBox USB 2.0 LR 4-Port Extender.

Unfortunately, neither of these solutions (let alone both of them together) can be accomplished at under $200.

* Wireless through walls, about 30 feet away.