1. It is better to sign-up/log-in before you post your question (or reply to an existing thread), instead of posting as a guest.
    This will allow you to easily look up the Q&A sequence anytime, anywhere, with just one mouse click. Learn more...

You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google+ accounts, or create a KVMGalore HelpCenter user-name/password.
    Dismiss Notice

Multi-screen Am I using this KVM switch wrong? (NTI UNIMUX Dual-Monitor 4K DisplayPort USB KVM Switch, 2-Ports)

Discussion in 'KVM' started by Legs, Jun 9, 2020.

1. Legs

Legs New member

I'm not sure if I have am doing something wrong, if I have a bad KVM switch that I need to contact the manufacturer over, or if I have the wrong KVM switch, altogether.

I have the NTI UNIMUX Dual-Monitor 4K DisplayPort USB KVM Switch, 2-Ports.
    https://www.kvmgalore.com/shopping/...m-switch-2-ports-unimux-dp4k-2dh-p-52213.html
    The USB ports work perfectly fine as a toggleable USB hub between the two computers.

However, when I plug either of my DisplayPort monitor or PC cables into their respective KVM DisplayPort slots, and set the KVM switch to the respective source... neither Windows on either PC, nor the monitor detect eachother.
    I had purchased a DisplayPort Female-to-Female Coupler/Gender Changer to prove that the cables plugged into the KVM switch work fine, and I get Windows detecting the monitor, and the monitor rendering the video feed.

The monitor I am attempting to use with this KVM switch is the Acer KG271U abmiipx.
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/model/UM.HX1AA.A07

2. Tammy Kuhn

Tammy Kuhn Member

I'm thinking that the monitors resolution and or refresh rate is not compatible with the Unimux unit. Are you getting a message on the monitor such as out of range or illegal format or no video, etc. ?

If you are able, please change the output resolution of your computer(s) to 1920x1080 60Hz. or 1920x1200 60Hz. which should work with most monitors and this unit?

Let me know if this helped or not.

Best regards,

Steve Hlava
    Production Supervisor
    [​IMG]
    Network Technologies Inc

3. Legs

Legs New member

The message on the monitor simply says "No Signal". I assume that's its equivalent to "No Video".

4. Tammy Kuhn

Tammy Kuhn Member

The message on the monitor simply saying "No Signal" can be assumed its equivalent to "No Video". The reason for asking is that the unit can handle a 144Hz refresh rate but only at 1080p resolution, while the monitor has a default resolution (2560x1440 @ 144Hz). Our thoughts are that this resolution would not work with the unit, but would yield a different message on the monitor.

We also asked if you can change the output resolution of the computer(s) to 1920x1080 60Hz or 1920x1200 60Hz which should work with most monitors and this unit. Did you try this and if so, what were the results?

Can we please get the (make and model numbers) of the computers and video cards you're using?

NTI Technical Support
    800-742-8324

5. Legs

Legs New member

I was able to get the video feed to appear when the resolution is set to 1920x1080 at 59Hz, not at either at 60Hz, nor 1920x1200 at 60Hz. I hoped to get the video to show at 2560x1440, even at 59Hz, but I was unable to get that to work.
    So, unfortunately, I have proven that I am running into a data line bandwidth issue.

And probably a KVM switch that is incompatible with my setup.

The primary PC has a GIGABYTE AORUS Xtreme GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce 11GD.
    https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-gv-n108taorusx-w-11gd/p/N82E16814125987

The secondary PC is a Dell Laptop, of which, I do not know the make or model number, but I believe it has integrated graphics and an HDMI port that I was going to bridge with a HDMI-DisplayPort converter.

6. Tammy Kuhn

Tammy Kuhn Member

We do not think you are using the switch wrong, especially if you do get it to work at the lower resolution/ refresh rate. It could be a bandwidth issue as you believe or some other cause for incompatibility between our unit and your equipment. I've gotten mixed results with my bench test test (some details below), so I'm going to get with the engineers to see if the have any suggestions.

NTI tech support tried the 2560x1440 resolution from my computer direct to the monitor and the monitor indicated that it was receiving 3840x2160. However, the desktop image was certainly not 4K (small icons, text, etc.), but image was also not the size of 1920x1080, so it appears that the computer is sending out the 2560x1440.

We connected the unit between the computer and monitor and the monitor did not display the image. We then direct connected the monitor back to the computer and set the output of computer to 1600x1200 and the unit worked (after reconnecting). We then increased the resolution up 1 option at a time and the unit worked at all resolutions up to and including 2560x1440. All were with 60 Hz. refresh rate.

We then switched the unit to the other port (no input) and then switched it back and there was no video displayed as the monitor indicated No Signal and then went into power save mode. UN-plugging the monitor cable from the unit and then reconnecting it caused the monitor to come out of power save mode and display the 2560x1440 image.

To see if some of our results are repeatable with your equipment, please try raising the resolution of your video card after getting it to display (1920x1080x59) and switch ports. If unit does not display video, then unplug the monitor then reconnect it back to the unit.

Are you experiencing any issues when switching ports?

NTI Technical Support
    800-742-8324