1. It is better to sign-up/log-in before you post your question (or reply to an existing thread), instead of posting as a guest.
    This will allow you to easily look up the Q&A sequence anytime, anywhere, with just one mouse click. Learn more...

You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google+ accounts, or create a KVMGalore HelpCenter user-name/password.
    Dismiss Notice

Switch Aten CS1964 Video DynaSync question

Discussion in 'KVM' started by randybobanders, Aug 3, 2021.

1. Can the Video DynaSync feature on the Aten CS1964 be disabled for one of the connected PCs?

I have one PC that I would like to use the the feature for and one laptop that I do not want to use the feature for. Basically I have a work laptop that I need to be able to use the laptop's built-in screen to keep an eye on things while I'm using my personal PC, so I don't want monitor emulation for the laptop specifically....but I do want monitor emulation for my personal PC to speed up switching and keep all of my program windows where they were when I switched.

2. KVMGalore Expert

KVMGalore Expert Staff Member

Hello randybobanders,

Thank you for reaching out on our HelpCenter.

DynaSync an embedded feature in CS1964 and cannot be disabled either per port or for the entire KVM switch.

The laptop's attached screen, however, wouldn't run through the KVM and thus will not be affected by DynaSync.

Hope this helps!
    We welcome your questions - please come back and ask us anything, anytime. You may also give us a call at 1-800-636-3434 for further clarifications on this thread.

Important note: To continue this discussion - please respond via KVMGalore HelpCenter thread, NOT via e-mail.

3. Here's my current setup:
    • Personal Computer (Win10-64)
      • GPU - XFX RX-580 GTS XXX 8GB - it has 3x DP 1.4 and 1x HDMI2.0b and 1x DVI-D.
    • Work laptop is an HP EliteBook x360 1030 G3 (Win10-64)
      • I'm using an HP Thunderbolt Dock G2 to connect the monitors.
    • I have 3 separate single-display KVMs (no EDID monitor emulation) driving 3 monitors and use keyboard hotkey to switch the monitors and keyboard/mouse between computers.
      • Startech SV231DPU2 DP KVM #1 connected to Monitor #1 - BenQ GW2765
        • PC DP output #1 @ 2560x1440 60Hz
        • Laptop Dock DP out 1 @ 2560x1440 60Hz
      • Startech SV231DPU2 DP KVM #2 connected to Monitor #2 - BenQ GW2765
        • PC DP output #2 @ 2560x1440 60Hz
        • Laptop Dock DP out 2 @ 2560x1440 60Hz
      • TrendNet TK-222DVK DVI KVM connected to Monitor #3 - Dell 2407WFPb
        • PC DVI-D output @ 1920x1200 60Hz
        • Laptop Dock > USB-to-DP adapter > DP-to-DVI-D adapter @ 1920x1200 60Hz
    When I'm using the laptop with the KVMs, the built-in screen is disabled and I'm only using the external monitors attached to the KVM. Unless I manually change the laptop's display output settings prior to switching to my other PC, wouldn't the built-in screen stay disabled since the DynaSync is making the laptop think the monitors are still connected? If that assumption is correct then I don't think the CS1964 will work for me. I think I need some type of device that can provide EDID monitor emulation only for my personal PC, then after that device I would connect it to a "normal" KVM that doesn't have always-on EDID monitor emulation. Does that sound right?

Regarding always-on EDID monitor emulators, I think I've found some products that would work, but would love to have confirmation:
    I'm also having frequent issues with my monitors and/or keyboard/mouse not reconnecting correctly when switching between computers. Usually it's just one single KVM acting up at a time, but all 3 of them do it seemingly randomly. Sometimes I can just switch back and forth again and it'll fix itself, sometimes I end up having to power drain one of the computers and/or monitors, and when that doesn't work I end up having to disconnect and then reconnect all display and usb cables from the KVMs and fully power drain the computer that's having the problem. I would love to figure out how to eliminate those issues. I'm thinking that the aforementioned always-on EDID emulators on my PC's video outputs might help with that. So unless somebody thinks that won't work I think I'll give it a shot.

If that won't/doesn't work then I think my next step would be to try to get rid of the 3 separate KVMs and buy a triple-monitor KVM as that should reduce the failure-points. I couldn't find any triple-monitor KVMs that have 2x DP and 1x DVI, so I was thinking maybe I could get a triple-monitor DisplayPort KVM (basic kind without EDID-monitor emulation) and then use that in conjunction with the previously mentioned always-on EDID monitor emulators on my personal computer's video outputs. I believe this would give me all of the functionality that I am looking for.

Thoughts?