1. It is better to sign-up/log-in before you post your question (or reply to an existing thread), instead of posting as a guest.
    This will allow you to easily look up the Q&A sequence anytime, anywhere, with just one mouse click. Learn more...

You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google+ accounts, or create a KVMGalore HelpCenter user-name/password.
    Dismiss Notice

Switch Control an HDMI switch with my PC

Discussion in 'Audio/Video' started by Steve, Nov 19, 2013.

1. Steve

Steve New member

I am looking for a KVM with one HDMI in and two HDMI out AND some type of connector to my PC. I plan on connecting the HDMI output to an HD TV, the two inputs will come from the cable box and a PC. I will then be able to play video from the PC directly to the TV or watch the TV cable programming.

Yes this is just like Input 1 or Input 2 on the TV. However I want to be able to control the KVM from the PC, that way the PC will tell the KVM what will play on the TV. In other words I want to be able to switch the KVM output from the PC.

Why? I have a very elderly father that lives in an assisted living home and I want to be able to control his TV remotely. Currently I can control the TV cable box through a slingbox, but I cannot change the TV input remotely. I can however remote control the PC, so if it could select the HDMI input (cable box or PC) then I could in essence control the TV input.

2. KVMGalore Expert

KVMGalore Expert Staff Member

[​IMG]You will need an HDMI A/V switch (not a KVM switch, since you're only looking to deal with HDMI audio/video, not with any keyboard/mouse).

For the switch to be controlled by the PC, you will need to interface between the switch and the PC via RS-232. This will allow you to send commands from the PC to the switch.

Some HDMI switches that support RS-232 may include:

GefenToolBox 4x1 Switcher for HDMI (Black)

GefenTV 4x1 Switcher for HDMI with RS232

VS481A - 4-Port HDMI Switch, 1.3b Compliant

4x1 HDMI Switcher

Last edited: Jun 22, 2014
  3. Steve

Steve New member

Thank you, that is very helpful.

What type of software would i need (and where would I get it) to control the switch? I'm running Windows 7.

4. KVMGalore Expert

KVMGalore Expert Staff Member

You would need a terminal program such as Hyper-Terminal. Hyper-Terminal used to be included with Windows XP, but is no longer included with Windows 7. Google 'Hyper-Terminal for Windows 7' and you will see ways to get it or get around it.

5. Steve

Steve New member

That is great, thanks for so much for the help. I will buy my switch from you guys. Great support!