1. It is better to sign-up/log-in before you post your question (or reply to an existing thread), instead of posting as a guest.
    This will allow you to easily look up the Q&A sequence anytime, anywhere, with just one mouse click. Learn more...

You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google+ accounts, or create a KVMGalore HelpCenter user-name/password.
    Dismiss Notice

Keyboard/Mouse Controlling 4 computers from two locations

Discussion in 'KVM' started by Casey B, Feb 4, 2020.

1. Casey B

Casey B New member

I have four HDMI computers in a room (#1). Each computer is connected to its own screen (for a total of 4 screens), but I want to control the computers with just one keyboard/mouse.

300 feet away in room #2 I'd like to setup a duplicated control system of the computers in room #1: 4 screens (each displaying video from one of the four computers); one keyboard and one mouse.

Using the keyboard/mouse, a user should be able to control the computers either from room #1 or from room #2.

Preferred communication between the two rooms should be fiber.

Can you recommend a solution?

2. Michael SmartAVI

Michael SmartAVI Active member

Hi Casey,

To establish control of room 1 in room 2, I would recommend the following:

First, you will require 4x HDS-2P HDMI splitters for each output of the 4 PCs in room 1. The video output from each splitter will be connected to monitors 1-4 respectively and to an SFX box. This gives 4 SFX boxes total.

From the SFX, each video output will connect to monitors 1-4 respectively in room 2. The USB output from the SFX receiver unit will go into an SKM-04 KM switch which will consolidate all USB control.

You will require HDMI to DVI converter cables to use the SFX units, but this will complete your project requirement.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

3. KVMGalore Expert

KVMGalore Expert Staff Member

Hi Casey,

Expanding on the SmartAVI solution, another SKM-04 KM switch will also need to be deployed in room #1 to facilitate local control of the 4 computers via one keyboard/mouse.

We're putting together a diagram that will depict this solution for you - stay tuned.

Important note: To continue this discussion - please respond via KVMGalore HelpCenter thread, NOT via e-mail.

4. KVMGalore Expert

Hi again Casey,

Please see attached diagram depicting the SmartAVI solution.

As mentioned earlier, you will need HDMI-DVI cables to make the video connections.

Hope this helps!
    We welcome your questions - please come back and ask us anything, anytime.

Important note: To continue this discussion - please respond via KVMGalore HelpCenter thread, NOT via e-mail.

Attached Files:

5. Hi Casey,

Before we explain how to establish control for rooms 1 and 2. It is important to emphasize, that our MX matrixline is full HD at 60Hz and requires 1G per port on the network switch and in this set-up, you will need a 15 port switch.

Control Room #1; First, you will need 4x MX local's (TX) for each output of the 4 PCs (our TX has a local loop-out reason you don't need extra hardware ). You will need to then connect the network cables to the network switch. You will then connect our MX remote (RX) to the network switch. Please connect your monitors to our MX matrixline remotes (RX), you will need HDMI - DVI cables to make the video connection.

Control room #2; For this room, you will need 4 MX matrixline remotes (RX) and you will need to connect them to the network switch.

Establishing control!!! In control room 1 on a separate laptop, you will be required to download our switching manager software. The local (TX) and remote (RX) parts can be connected or disconnected by touch or mouse click. For a quick overview, the extenders are arranged in an optimized way and the status of the extenders is highlighted in color. With our switching manager software, you can enable our mouse glide & switch for room 1 and 2, and you can enable the share USB and video with control room 2, and operate with just one keyboard and mouse. For each software feature, I have provided a link so you have a picture of what each feature operates like.

With a kvm-tec set-up, you don't need extra hardware and all of our features are software.

---- USB & video sharing

----- Mouse glide & switch

I hope this helps, if you have any further questions, please feel free to ask. I'll be happy to help.

Attached Files:

6. KVMGalore Expert

Hi again Casey,

As you can see, the kvm-tec solution will result in the same desired functionality by utilizing KVM over IP solution.

7. Casey B

Casey B New member

I think there was a miss-understanding with my original call. I need these machines to stay in the one room they currently are in, the Electrical room, and be controlled from there.
    I have added a drawing for clarification.
    Then there will be two new control locations added, a break room, and a control room. So a total of 3 locations for control.
    The SmartAVI based solution looks like it is not scalable past 2 locations?
    The KVM-Tec solution looks like I would just need to add 4 more receiver units and add them in the third room?

Just to make sure I understand something though in the event of a network failure the SmartAVI would allow me to still control at the local level but the KVM-Tec would not. I would have to make a decision on criticality but it is something for me to consider.

Thanks for the help so far!
    Casey

Attached Files:

8. KVMGalore Expert

Hi Casey,

The drawing you added makes your requirement crystal clear.

Correct.

Correct. The beauty of KVM over IP solutions such as this one is its scalability.

The kvm-tec solution is a KVM over IP solution which requires setting up a network. Obviously, you lose all control if the network fails (although network switches are highly reliable nowadays). It is highly recommended that the network you set up is dedicated to this solution exclusively (instead of using your existing production network). The Smart-AVI solution is not dependent on any network but rather on straight-forward video-splitters, KVM extenders and KM switches, all put together in a unique way (as illustrated in our diagram) to accomplish control from two locations.

Hope this helps!
    We welcome your questions - please come back and ask us anything, anytime.