1. It is better to sign-up/log-in before you post your question (or reply to an existing thread), instead of posting as a guest.
    This will allow you to easily look up the Q&A sequence anytime, anywhere, with just one mouse click. Learn more...

You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google+ accounts, or create a KVMGalore HelpCenter user-name/password.
    Dismiss Notice

Splitter Controlling a DVI-USB computer from 3 locations

Discussion in 'Audio/Video' started by Gary M, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Gary M

Gary M New member

I have a DVI-USB computer controlling several IP cameras via special software.

I'd like to be able to control this computer from two more locations in the office - up to 70 feet away (total of three controlling consoles).

All three screens are HDMI.

2. KVMGalore Expert

KVMGalore Expert Staff Member

[​IMG]You will need a reverse-KVM setup to allow three consoles to control this one computer. There are two ways to accomplish this:

1) Using a KVM splitter, such as VOPEX USB/DVI/HDMI KVM Splitter (to provide for up to 4 consoles the ability to control one computer), in conjunction with a KVM extender (either HDMI KVM extender or DVI KVM extender using DVI-HDMI adapters) to extend two of the consoles away from the computer, using dedicated (NOT through the network) CATx cable.

2) Using KVM over IP matrix (such as HD KVM over IP or DVI KVM over IP) in conjunction with a dedicated Gigabit network. A transmitter unit gets connected to the computer (and to the network). Three receiver units get connected to their corresponding KVM consoles at any location and also get connected to the network. This allows anyone of the three consoles to control the computer.

3. Gary M

Gary M New member

I received a follow up phone call / voice-mail and regretfully I have "lost" it.

My client has since revised how they want to monitor the cameras.

Now they want to extend the display from the server to two additional televisions (approx. 70 feet away).

4. KVMGalore Expert

KVMGalore Expert Staff Member

Since you are now looking only to have the computer's video displayed on two extended screens (+ the local screen) without the need to control the computer (via keyboard/mouse) from all locations - you'll need to deploy an HDMI video splitter with built-in extension.

[​IMG]Depending on how much control you need over the remote screens you may go with a simple solution such as HDX-400 (plus two receivers for the extended displays) or a more elaborate system such as DS Vision Digital with Remote Display Management, EDID/DDC support, bi-directional RS−232 and proof of performance.

Since your computer is DVI (not HDMI), you will also need an HDMI-DVI adapter or an HDMI-DVI adapter-cable to connect the computer to the splitter.

By the same token, you may want to deploy a DVI Video Splitter-Extender and use the adapters on the screen end.

Let us know which route you want to take and we'll put together a quote for you that will include all required components to make this work.