1. It is better to sign-up/log-in before you post your question (or reply to an existing thread), instead of posting as a guest.
    This will allow you to easily look up the Q&A sequence anytime, anywhere, with just one mouse click. Learn more...

You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google+ accounts, or create a KVMGalore HelpCenter user-name/password.
    Dismiss Notice

Switch CS682 DVI-D KVM switch

Discussion in 'KVM' started by Ian, May 12, 2014.

1. Ian

Ian New member

I am in the process of investing in a new DVI monitor and a KVM, however the computers I mostly have to link up to a KVM would be VGA.

My question is .... can i use a VGA adapter to overcome the VGA issue on the above KVM model or do I need to downgrade from buying a DVI KVM to a VGA?
    Thanks in advance.

2. KVMGalore Expert

KVMGalore Expert Staff Member

[​IMG] CS682 KVM switch you mentioned supports DVI-D (digital video), which is incompatible with VGA (analog video). Hence - a VGA - DVI adapter will not work since the video signals are not compatible.

In order to mix VGA and DVI in one KVM installation, you will need the DVI components (the computers, the KVM and your monitor) to support DVI-I. Learn more about Controlling a mix of DVI and VGA computers using a KVM switch.

If you decide to 'downgrade' to VGA, bear in mind that for the most part you won't really be downgrading at all. Learn more about Video – Analog vs. Digital.