1. It is better to sign-up/log-in before you post your question (or reply to an existing thread), instead of posting as a guest.
    This will allow you to easily look up the Q&A sequence anytime, anywhere, with just one mouse click. Learn more...

You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google+ accounts, or create a KVMGalore HelpCenter user-name/password.
    Dismiss Notice

Switch Is there a thing called real-edid vs simulated edid for KVM switches?

Discussion in 'KVM' started by s0crates, Jan 25, 2023.

1. s0crates

s0crates New member

I am looking for a good quality KVM switch 4K @ 60Hz compatible. To output monitors and anything 2 and above PC's. Ideally it should have HDMI and DisplayPort or just the HDMI should be OK.

I was reading elsewhere that there is a thing called realtime EDID vs the simulated EDID. Is this even a thing? The reddit user mentioned that in a simulated EDID based KVM switch, if a device such as monitor, mouse or a keyboard falls of the KVM switch, the switch does not get to know that, it was better to get a real time EDID with DCI based KVM switch. Please guide, a model number under 600 bucks be great.

Also one important question is, do I need to connect two HDMI cables at my source? MY PC graphic card only has one HDMI cable. How do I go about adding two HDMI cables to my source if the KVM absolutely requires 2 HDMI ports.

2. KVMGalore Expert

KVMGalore Expert Staff Member

Hello s0crates,

Thank you for reaching out on our HelpCenter.

Neither of those terms seem to have a standardized definition.

The native HDMI KVM switches we offer usually include built-in EDID emulation technology that saves the monitor's EDID and then relays it to the attached system every time you switch, so that each computer's video gets retained in the exact same position as it was when you switched to another connected computer. This does not apply to DisplayPort KVM switches, because the native DisplayPort protocol takes care of the EDID by itself instead of the KVM switch.

To avoid any issues with EDID, you would be better off going with an HDMI KVM switch.

These HDMI KVM switches support one monitor and only one video connection from each computer to the KVM switch.

Hope this helps!
    We welcome your questions - please come back and ask us anything, anytime. You may also give us a call at 1-800-636-3434 for further clarifications on this thread.

Important note: To continue this discussion - please respond via KVMGalore HelpCenter thread, NOT via e-mail.