1. It is better to sign-up/log-in before you post your question (or reply to an existing thread), instead of posting as a guest.
    This will allow you to easily look up the Q&A sequence anytime, anywhere, with just one mouse click. Learn more...

You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google+ accounts, or create a KVMGalore HelpCenter user-name/password.
    Dismiss Notice

Multi-screen Jury-rig kvm-like set-up between two laptops with extended dual display

Discussion in 'KVM' started by Bread_and_Circuits, Jun 3, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Bread_and_Circuits

Bread_and_Circuits New member

Working remotely during the pandemic, I am trying to jury-rig a KVM-like set up between work laptop (Dell XPS13; HDMI, USB-C, 2x USB 3.0) and home laptop (Acer Aspire S7-391; micro HDMI, 2x USB 3.0) each running Win 10 Pro, with sharing a USB mouse, USB keyboard, Logitech USB webcam, and two Dell displays (older is Dell ST2421L, 1 each HDMI, DVI, VGA; newer is Dell U2419HX, HDMI, DP, USB 3.0).

To jury-rig since they did not have a sufficient dedicated KVM, my local computer store sold me a computer USB 3.0 switch (IOGear GUS432) and a USB 3.0 to HDMI 4K dual display extender adapter (J5, JUA 365).

Everything connects and works but I cannot seem to match the display colors. (The Win 10 color calibration tool/Dell Color Management App don't change/detect, respectively, the displays when the adapter is plugged into the switch, but work when the adapter is plugged into one laptop directly. If I match the colors when plugged in directly, it reverts to being off when I put back through the USB switch. The color in the older display is further off (colors seem dark and over-saturated) and won't seem to adjust manually. I can get closer if adjusting the newer display manually to the old, but then its color calibration is way off and not good for photo or video work. Any suggestions or workarounds?

If not, can you recommend specific HDMI to USB adapter for the older computer and a specific dual display KVM several port switch that would work with my equipment and be reasonably priced given work won't cover the cost?
    Thanks.

2. KVMGalore Expert

KVMGalore Expert Staff Member

Hello Bread_and_Circuits,

Thank you for reaching out on our HelpCenter.

Since you've tested the USB to HDMI adapter and it worked fine when connected directly to your laptop*, it appears the problem may be with the IOGear GUS432. It may be that the IOGEAR switch cannot handle the video's bandwidth. Have you brought this up with IOGEAR technical support?

Here you can find our offerings of HDMI USB video adapters. Use KVMGFilter to narrow down your search based on Docking Port, Number of Screens, Video Resolution and USB Version (among other filters).

Here you can find our offerings of dual-video HDMI KVM switches. You may find a larger selection available to you if you use DisplayPort instead of HDMI.

Hope this helps!
    We welcome your questions - please come back and ask us anything, anytime. You may also give us a call at 1-800-636-3434 for further clarifications on this thread.

Important note: To continue this discussion - please respond via KVMGalore HelpCenter thread, NOT via e-mail.

* You may want to conduct a similar test with the 2nd laptop as well.