1. It is better to sign-up/log-in before you post your question (or reply to an existing thread), instead of posting as a guest.
    This will allow you to easily look up the Q&A sequence anytime, anywhere, with just one mouse click. Learn more...

You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google+ accounts, or create a KVMGalore HelpCenter user-name/password.
    Dismiss Notice

KVM KVM cables / HDMI to Display port

Discussion in 'Cables' started by Ehren, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Ehren

Ehren Guest

Hello,

My computers only have DisplayPort on the back. There are a lot of great KVM switch options with HDMI. Can I just use an of the shelf DisplayPort to HDMI cable? and then run the appropriate USB cables alongside it?

NOTE: I know they sell dongles to convert DisplayPort to a CAT-5. I would prefer not to buy the expensive dongles.

2. KVMGalore Expert

KVMGalore Expert Staff Member

Hello Ehren,

Thank you for reaching out on our HelpCenter.

Yes. You may use DisplayPort to HDMI cables or DisplayPort to HDMI adapters.

FYI: We also offer a wide selection of DisplayPort KVM switches you may want to consider.

These dongles you are referring to are proprietary and are designed to support either a KVM extension or a computer connection to a particular CAT-5 KVM switch, neither of which will be useful for your need to adapt between DisplayPort to HDMI.

Hope this helps!
    We welcome your questions - please come back and ask us anything, anytime, or just offer your feedback.

Important note: To continue this discussion - please respond via KVMGalore HelpCenter thread, NOT via e-mail.