1. It is better to sign-up/log-in before you post your question (or reply to an existing thread), instead of posting as a guest.
    This will allow you to easily look up the Q&A sequence anytime, anywhere, with just one mouse click. Learn more...

You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google+ accounts, or create a KVMGalore HelpCenter user-name/password.
    Dismiss Notice

IP KVM for MacBook to Linux rack

Discussion in 'KVM' started by Richard George, Jun 7, 2014.

1. Richard George

Richard George New member

I deal with portable racks of Linux servers that I want to get console access to through the PS/2 interface using my MacBook Pro, which has Thunderbolt, USB and HDMI ports.

Sometimes I cannot get access through SSH so I need some sort of KVM that gives me direct console access from my Mac so I don't have to carry around a separate terminal and keyboard.

It can have a single connector to the servers -- not a big deal to unplug/plug cables to servers.

Do you have a KVM that fits this profile? Thanks.

2. KVMGalore Expert

KVMGalore Expert Staff Member

It appears that your Linux servers have PS/2 keyboard and mouse connectors.

What type of video connection do they have?

3. Richard George

Richard George New member

The video connection is VGA. In addition to PS/2 the keyboard and mouse could be USB.

4. KVMGalore Expert

KVMGalore Expert Staff Member

This is tricky, since you're looking to use a computer (your MacBook Pro) as a console (terminal) to control another computer (your Linux server).

[​IMG]A little device: USB Laptop KVM Switch (albeit now discontinued by the manufacturer) achieves precisely that! Assuming your servers support USB 2.0, you plug this USB Laptop KVM Switch to a USB port on your MacBook Pro, then you plug the other USB connector to your server and - voila! You can now control your server by using your MacBook Pro as a console.

But, there may be a compatibility problem with your Linux servers and with your MacBook Pro as well, as this device is design to work in WinTel environments.

[​IMG]Alternatively, you could use a single-port KVM over IP gateway. This technology is more likely to be indifferent to various operating systems. Connect the KVM over IP gateway to the KVM ports of your server (i.e. video, keyboard/mouse, be it USB or PS/2). Then, instead of connecting the KVM over IP gateway to the network, you could connect it to the RJ45 network port of your laptop using a crossover cable. Your laptop will now be controlling the server over an IP connection - you run a browser on your MacBook Pro, type in the IP address of the KVM over IP gateway and - voila! Your Linux server will be viewed in the browser window, and your MacBook's keyboard will be controlling the Linux server.

Some specific models to take a closer look at may include:
    AdderLink iPEPS
    Dominion KX II-101