1. It is better to sign-up/log-in before you post your question (or reply to an existing thread), instead of posting as a guest.
    This will allow you to easily look up the Q&A sequence anytime, anywhere, with just one mouse click. Learn more...

You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google+ accounts, or create a KVMGalore HelpCenter user-name/password.
    Dismiss Notice

Switch KVM switch for both Win 10 PC and Macbook Pro 2021

Discussion in 'KVM' started by David Ochsner, Feb 20, 2022.

1. David Ochsner

David Ochsner New member

I'm looking for advice on which KVM switch or even a hub or docking station that will support switching btw a Windows 10 and a Macbook Pro for a remote workspace setup.

I'm currently using a cable matters KVM switch which works well for my 2 PC's but for some reason the Macbook Pro only sees 1 Viewsonic monitor unless I plug 1 HDMI into the Macbook Pro HDMI input. That is annoying to use and renders the KVM switch useless for the most part.

My setup: 1 Viewsonic VS2776, 1 VA2759 , 1 ThinkPad win10 PC and a Macbook Pro 2021. I use wireless logic keyboard/mouse with a USB connector.

I'm attaching a diagram of my setup for clarity. I also included my personal win11 PC but that is not part of my work setup. Thanks in advance for any help. I'm not able to upload a diagram at this time. I got a server error: here's rough drawing:

[mon] [mon]
    | |
    dp port hdmi port
    [cable matters kvm ]
    | |
    ctype ctype-thunderbolt 3
    [win10] [macbook pro]

2. KVMGalore Expert

KVMGalore Expert Staff Member

Hello David,

Thank you for reaching out on our HelpCenter.

Not sure what you mean by remote workspace setup. Please advise.

We're not familiar with this brand.

KVM switches typically don't work well (or don't work at all!) with wireless keyboard/mouse. Learn more...

To set up a console with 1x keyboard/mouse and 2x monitors (for extended desktop), you need a dual-view KVM switch. These typically require 2x video connections to each computer. If your computers don't have 2x video connections each, you may create these ports by the use of USB video adapters.

Hope this helps!
    We welcome your questions - please come back and ask us anything, anytime. You may also give us a call at 1-800-636-3434 for further clarifications on this thread.

Important note: To continue this discussion - please respond via KVMGalore HelpCenter thread, NOT via e-mail.