1. It is better to sign-up/log-in before you post your question (or reply to an existing thread), instead of posting as a guest.
    This will allow you to easily look up the Q&A sequence anytime, anywhere, with just one mouse click. Learn more...

You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google+ accounts, or create a KVMGalore HelpCenter user-name/password.
    Dismiss Notice

Switch KVM switch for DVI and VGA

Discussion in 'KVM' started by Lou Pappa, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Lou Pappa

Lou Pappa New member

I am looking for a KVM that I can share a monitor with DVI to a laptop and VGA to a desktop. I also need to share a keyboard and sound. My problem is finding a KVM that can handle the monitor.

2. KVMGalore Expert

KVMGalore Expert Staff Member

To confirm we correctly understand your setup and to clarify some variables - please review and respond to the following:

1) Your laptop has DVI? What type of DVI?

2) Your desktop has VGA?

3) You're looking to share a monitor, keyboard and audio via a KVM switch with your laptop and desktop. What type of video input does your monitor have?

3. Lou Pappa

Lou Pappa New member

I have a NEC Multisync EA241wm monitor with both VGA and DVI ports. I would like to use the DVI port to the KVM for my laptop and the VGA port for my Dell OptiPlex desktop.

4. KVMGalore Expert

A KVM switch has only one video output. Your monitor can accept only one video input (even though it has 2 connectors).

Since DVI (digital video) is not compatible with VGA (analog video), we need to know what type DVI you have: DVI-I or DVI-D. This will help determine whether or not you will need a video converter.

(Learn more about mixing DVI and VGA with a KVM switch, and the differences between digital and analog video)

Please advise the following:

1) What type DVI does your laptop support?

2) What type DVI does your monitor support?

5. Lou Pappa

Lou Pappa New member

Thank you for your response. I spoke with Dell and am adding a DVI graphic card to my desktop so I will have both units with DVI capabilities. Thanks again for straightening this out for me. I think the graphics card is the best way to go.

6. KVMGalore Expert

[​IMG] Leveling the playing field (having all your computers with compatible video output) will certainly make things easier.

Once you are DVI across the board, you can use any DVI KVMA switch.