1. It is better to sign-up/log-in before you post your question (or reply to an existing thread), instead of posting as a guest.
    This will allow you to easily look up the Q&A sequence anytime, anywhere, with just one mouse click. Learn more...

You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google+ accounts, or create a KVMGalore HelpCenter user-name/password.
    Dismiss Notice

Switch KVM switch for Windows PC and Macbook Pro laptop

Discussion in 'KVM' started by Bart Tatum, Apr 10, 2014.

1. Bart Tatum

Bart Tatum New member

I am about to start a work from home IT job and I am interested in finding a KVM that I can use with my current configuration of monitors for both a windows 7 Ultimate PC used for general use and gaming and a Macbook Pro laptop.

I currently have a gforce gtx 780ti hooked up the monitors in the following manner.
    1 benq xl2420t in the center which has to be hooked up to DVI-D in order to run at 120hz running out of the DVI-D port.
    1 Samsung syncmaster 2233bw runnout out of the DVI-I port.
    1 Dell E178FP monitor running out of the DisplayPort and converted to VGA using an adapter @ 75hz.
    1 Dell E178FP monitor running out of the HDMI port and converted to VGA using an adapter @ 75hz.

I want a KVM that would support hooking up monitors, USB keyboard, and USB mouse to both the Mac and the PC and whatever configuration would be necessary to ensure the monitors aren't refresh rate limited. I don't mind purchasing adapters as needed.

2. KVMGalore Expert

KVMGalore Expert Staff Member

We need some clarifications:

1) Are you looking for your monitors to remain connected directly to their respective computers? or...

2) Are you looking to have the KVM switch share monitors (as well as keyboard/mouse) between your computers? If so - how many monitors would you like to have in your KVM console?

3. Bart Tatum

Bart Tatum New member

1. No the monitors do not need to remain connected to the respective computers as long as the KVM does not limit the resolution and refresh rate.

2. Yes I am looking to have the KVM switch share all 4 monitors and my USB keyboard and mouse between the PC and the Mac. I would like to potentially be able to go to 6 monitors if there is hardware that would support that.

4. KVMGalore Expert

[​IMG] To achieve such sharing (answer 2) - each of your computers must have 4 video ports, with a video card that supports 4 simultaneous video outputs.

If this is the case - you can deploy a multi-screen KVM switch that supports 4-video heads per computer, supporting a console with 4 monitors, 1 keyboard, 1 mouse.

Two such models to look at:

AdderView PRO MultiScreen, 4-Ports, Quad-Head, supporting DVI-I connection that are compatible with DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort and VGA (using appropriate adapters). This model also supports high resolution up to 2560x1600.

DVN-4Quad, supporting DVI-D connection that are compatible with DVI, HDMI and DisplayPort (using appropriate adapters). This model supports resolution up to 1920x1200.

Please let us know if you need help selecting the correct adapters.

5. Bart Tatum

Bart Tatum New member

The AdderView Pro description only makes mention of 60hz as quoted below. Are we sure that it supports the full DVI-I dual link bandwidth that would allow for faster refresh rates? "The AdderView PRO MultiScreen features full dual link DVI video delivering 4 megapixel resolutions per head at 60Hz."

The DVN-4Quad only makes mention of 60hz refresh rates and the max resolution support. It appears as if it would not work because it says it only supports 60hz refresh rates and DVI-D single link connections. My understanding is to get 120hz refresh rates it's a requirement to support the DVI dual link standard.

6. KVMGalore Expert

Please provide the video resolutions (and refresh rates) you are running on your PC and Macbook Pro.

We could then verify that the recommended KVM switches actually support such specifications.