1. It is better to sign-up/log-in before you post your question (or reply to an existing thread), instead of posting as a guest.
    This will allow you to easily look up the Q&A sequence anytime, anywhere, with just one mouse click. Learn more...

You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google+ accounts, or create a KVMGalore HelpCenter user-name/password.
    Dismiss Notice

Switch KVM switch product recommendation needed

Discussion in 'KVM' started by Brad, Feb 10, 2020.

1. Brad

Brad Guest

I'm a newbie to KVM switches. I'm just a homeowner wanting to connect 3 laptops and a wireless mouse and keyboard to a single Dell USB-C display (model P2720DC) that has 2560x1440 resolution at 60Hz. I need a KVM or HDMI switch product recommendation, and/or your advice. I see various KVM switches on the market that cost hundreds, even thousands, and I cannot afford those. I was hoping for something around $100 or less. Of course I see a lot of products on Amazon but many get poor reviews. Not wanting to waste money.

2. KVMGalore Expert

KVMGalore Expert Staff Member

Hello Brad,

Thank you for reaching out on our HelpCenter. We have some clarifying questions:

1) What type video ports do your 3 laptops have (if any)?
    2) What type USB ports do your 3 laptops have?
    3) It appears your monitor also has HDMI and DisplayPort inputs. Please confirm this.

Answering these questions will allow us to make a recommendation - please advise.

Important note: To continue this discussion - please respond via KVMGalore HelpCenter thread, NOT via e-mail.

3. Brad

Brad Guest

One laptop is a Microsoft Surface which has Mini DisplayPort and USB.

The other two are Lenovo and HP laptops which have HDMI and USB.

So I was thinking the KVM switch would be HDMI to all 3, using an HDMI to Mini DisplayPort adapter on the Surface.

4. KVMGalore Expert

Hello Brad,

Thanks for your feedback.

This indeed sounds like a good plan - Please have a look at 4-port HDMI KVM switches that support 2560x1440 resolution at 60Hz. Unfortunately these are not priced at a $100 range.
    Also, please have a look at items 5-13 for Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapters for your Surface.

Please be aware that KVM switches (in general) "don't like" wireless keyboard/mouse (learn more here). Any KVM switch you end up with may or may not work with your wireless keyboard/mouse and there's no way to tell other than trial and error. Ultimately, you may need to use a wired keyboard/mouse to make your KVM solution work properly.

Hope this helps!
    We welcome your questions - please come back and ask us anything, anytime.

Important note: To continue this discussion - please respond via KVMGalore HelpCenter thread, NOT via e-mail.

5. Brad

Brad Guest

Thanks so much.

I realize a KVM switch has USB ports for keyboard and mouse. But instead of using a KVM switch would it work to use just a simple HDMI switch like the IOGEAR GHSW8441, and then plug the wireless or wired keyboard and mouse directly into the Dell P2720DC monitor? Can you plug keyboards and mice into a monitor directly and expect to successfully control whatever computer is connected to the monitor via the HDMI switch?

6. KVMGalore Expert

In short - No!

You need a switch that simultaneously switches video and keyboard/mouse control between your connected computers. This is the functionality of a KVM (Keyboard; Video and Mouse) switch.

If you use an HDMI video switch, there would be no mechanism in place to synchronize between the video you switched to and the keyboard/mouse to control the computer from which that video signal is coming.

Without being familiar with the specs of your monitor, we could assume that the USB-C port on your monitor is probably designed only to serve as a video input.

Hope this helps!