1. It is better to sign-up/log-in before you post your question (or reply to an existing thread), instead of posting as a guest.
    This will allow you to easily look up the Q&A sequence anytime, anywhere, with just one mouse click. Learn more...

You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google+ accounts, or create a KVMGalore HelpCenter user-name/password.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Need guidance on equipment

Discussion in 'KVM' started by davidn, Jul 26, 2022.

Tags:
  1. davidn

davidn New member

Hey Everyone,
    I have two laptops and one monitor.
    One of the laptops is a Lenovo T14 Windows 10 and the other is Macbook Pro 2020.
    The windows laptop is work and Mac is my personal. I work from home and need to be able to switch between the two laptops often.
    I have a cheap ONN USB-C docking station I currently use but have to manually switch the connection between my two laptops.
    What budget friendly KVM or KVM/USB-C switch combo does everyone recommend.
    Thank you in advance.
    David

2. KVMGalore Expert

KVMGalore Expert Staff Member

Hello David,

Thank you for reaching out on our HelpCenter.

You need a 2-port KVM switch to facilitate switching from one laptop to another.
    Which one? That would depend on what external connectors do anyone of your two laptops have.

For each of your laptops (or docking stations - if they are permanently connected to the laptop), please advise the type and count of the following:
    1) USB connectors count?
    2) USB connectors type (e.g. Type-A; Type-C, etc.)?
    3) Video connectors count?
    4) Video connectors type (e.g. HDMI; DisplayPort, etc.)?
    5) Other connectors count?
    6) Other connectors type (e.g. Thunderbolt, etc.)?

Once we have this information we can narrow down the selection of products that may work for you.

Please advise.

3. KVMGalore Expert

KVMGalore Expert Staff Member

To continue this discussion - please respond via KVMGalore HelpCenter thread, NOT via e-mail.