1. It is better to sign-up/log-in before you post your question (or reply to an existing thread), instead of posting as a guest.
    This will allow you to easily look up the Q&A sequence anytime, anywhere, with just one mouse click. Learn more...

You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google+ accounts, or create a KVMGalore HelpCenter user-name/password.
    Dismiss Notice

Switch Possibly require a HDMI switch box

Discussion in 'Audio/Video' started by Geoff, Jan 17, 2017.

1. Geoff

Geoff Guest

Hello: I have a Sony 4K Ultra Hi-Def TV with HDR and a Sonos Playbar or soundbar. In addition I also have a CD player and a VHS/DVD recorder hooked up and connected to the TV with HDMI cables. When the optical cable from the Sonos Playbar is connected to the optical port on the back of the TV, I experience frequent audio interruptions which last anywhere from 3 to maybe 8 seconds or so. So I unplugged the optical cable from the back of the TV and plugged it directly into the back of my set top box or PVR Nextbox and the problem improved quite a lot.
    The problem now is that by connecting the optical cable to the set top box, I have no audio when I play the CD player or watch a tape or DVD on the VHS/DVD recorder.
    I'm wondering if the 4K Ultra-HD 2-port HDMI auto switcher (model no. VS-211UHD) would solve my problem?
    Thanks.

2. KVMGalore Expert

KVMGalore Expert Staff Member

It doesn't look like a 2-port HDMI switch will solve your problem, but before we offer a solution we need to better understand your setup:
    1) Being that a CD player has audio-only (no video) - what is the purpose for it being connected to your TV to begin with?

3. oaky

oaky Guest

Thanks for your reply.

I have the CD Player connected to the back of the TV with a HDMI cable because that is the only place I can connect it. I don't have a receiver hooked up and my Sonos Playbar only has an optical cable which is currently connected to my cable box.

Both the CD Player and DVD Recorder are connected to the TV with HDMI cables. I have no other place to connect either of them.

A Sonos agent suggested I purchase a HDMI switch box with an optical port that supports 4K Ultra Hi-Def and connect a HDMI cable from the output on the Switch Box into the TV; then connect both the CD Player and DVD Recorder to the two input ports on the Switch Box and finally unplug the optical cable from the cable box and plug it directly into the optical port on the back of the Switch Box.
    He said that would allow me to watch and listen to the TV as well as obtain audio when I play the CD Player or watch a DVD on the DVD Recorder.

Do you not think that would work in my case?

Thanks.

4. KVMGalore Expert

Thanks for the clarifications. The reason we asked about the CD player being connected to the TV is because it is uncommon for a CD player to have an HDMI output (being that it only outputs audio and no video). In your case it appears that the CD player outputs its audio via HDMI.

And so, it looks like you have three(3) sources:
    1) CD player
    2) VHS/DVD recorder
    3) PVR Nextbox set-top box

You will then need a switch with at least three inputs, with the capability of de-embedding the audio from the HDMI, so that the audio can be sent to your Sonos sound-bar (VS-211UHD only has two, and it does not de-embed the audio).

KD-Pro4x1 can accomplish this. The switch supports Ultra-HD/4K with HDR and de-embeds the audio from the HDMI inputs to a digital coax output.

If your Sonos sound-bar only has an optical digital audio input you will then need to use GefenTV Digital Audio Translator to translate between the two-type audio connectors.

That being said - we'd also recommend you run this problem with Sony, as a direct sound connection from the TV to the sound-bar - which is the correct and best connection - should not give you any audio noise to begin with.

P.S. If you wish to respond or follow-up, it is better that you first sign-up before you reply to this thread (instead of responding as a guest). This will allow you to easily look up this conversation anytime, anywhere, with just one mouse click. Learn more...

5. Geoff McColgan

Geoff McColgan New member

Hi and thanks for getting back to me.

Since my Sonos Playbar only has an optical port, would I be correct in saying that the reason I would also need the Gfen TV Digital Audio Translator is because the 4-Port HDMI Switcher with audio de-embedding doesn't have an optical port in which to plug in the optical cable coming from the Playbar?
    Also the Sonos representative I spoke to indicated that the J-Tech Digital ® HDMI 1.4 Switch Switcher Box Selector would solve me issue.
    Here's the link to that particular Switch Box:

https://www.amazon.com/J-Tech-Digital-Switcher-Selector-Extractor/dp/B00QJGAKCW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1484675661&sr=8-2&keywords=hdmi+switcher+with+optical+out

He said I would connect the Switch Box itself to the TV with a HDMI cable going from the output on the Switch Box to the TV; plug the optical cable from the Sonos Playbar into the optical port on the Switch Box; and connect both the CD Player and the DVD Recorder using HDMI cables and plugging them into the two inputs on the Switch Box.

Does that make sense?
    Thanks.

6. Geoff McColgan

Hi Again: Upon contacting the Sonos agent a short time ago regarding the 3 in 1 Switch Box attached to the link above, which he sent me, he confirmed that box would not solve me issue after-all because there are not enough HDMI ports to accommodate my cable box as well as the CD player and DVD recorder.
    What I require, he said, is a 4 in 1 Switch Box with an optical port.

Regarding your recommendation for the above Switch Box (KD-Pro4x1) and the GefenTV Digital Audio Translator, if I purchase a 4 in 1 Switch Box that has an optical port in which to plug in the optical cable from my Sonos Playbar, would that eliminate the need for the GefenTV Digital Audio Translator?

Thanks.

7. KVMGalore Expert

Correct.

On paper, it appears this might work. Please be advised, however, that this is not a high-end brand (like the ones carried by KVMGalore).

8. KVMGalore Expert

Since you have three sources, a 3-port switch will suffice.

Yes.

9. Geoff McColgan

Thank you for your help again. It is most appreciated.
    Do you have or carry a quality HDMI switch box with an optical port, 1 HDMI output port (TV) and 3 HDMI input ports (cable box, CD player, DVD recorder) to support my Sony 4K Ultra Hi-Def TV with HDR? If so, could you provide the link for it t me?
    Thanks again.

10. KVMGalore Expert