1. It is better to sign-up/log-in before you post your question (or reply to an existing thread), instead of posting as a guest.
    This will allow you to easily look up the Q&A sequence anytime, anywhere, with just one mouse click. Learn more...

You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google+ accounts, or create a KVMGalore HelpCenter user-name/password.
    Dismiss Notice

Extender Reverse KVM over IP

Discussion in 'KVM' started by Brandon, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Brandon

Brandon New member

I work in a financial trading firm that has a central trading desk located in the main room.

If one of the people sitting at this desk also has a personal office and would like to remotely control their desktop on the central trading desk from their office, could that be done using reverse KVM over IP?

I am trying to price out the option of not using remote desktop connections via PC and having to buy separate computers for all of the offices.

2. KVMGalore Expert

KVMGalore Expert Staff Member

Not sure what you mean by reverse KVM over IP. Please provide more information about your scenario, in particular:

- What is the device at the trading desk (that you're looking to control from the office) - is it a computer?

- What do you mean by control their desktop on the central trading desk from their office?

- What is the device in the office (that you're looking to use for controlling the trading desk) - is it a computer?

3. Brandon

Brandon New member

Maybe reverse KVM is the wrong term. Yes, we are trying to control the computer on the trading desk from the office, meaning they would have a keyboard, monitor and mouse and would be able to access the computer in the same way from their office as they would from the trading desk.

4. KVMGalore Expert

Controlling the computer on the trading desk from the office can be accomplished in a number of different ways, either by using KVM over IP, or by using KVM extender. The best solution would depend on the following:

- Is there a computer in the office?

- Does the computer on the trading desk need to be remotely controlled only from one office? or from many different offices?

- Does the computer on the trading desk also need to be used locally via a monitor/keyboard/mouse attached to it?

5. Brandon

Brandon New member

To answer your questions:
    1. I'm trying to determine if we need a computer in the office or not. Although, having a computer would allow normal remote desktop programs, etc. I'd like to price both options, hence why I'm checking out KVM technology.

2. The computer on the trading desk can be controlled from one office.

3. The computer on the trading desk would also be used locally.

6. KVMGalore Expert

KVM over IP requires a computer to control another computer. [​IMG]Since you don't have a computer in the office, and since the computer on the trading desk needs to be controlled from only one office - your best bet is a KVM extender.

Since the computer on the trading desk would also be used locally, you will need a KVM extender that supports local access in addition to remote access.

Assuming the supports USB and VGA - the following models will do the job:

KVM Extender USB

USB VGA KVM Console Extender

USB KVM Console Extenders

AdderLink X50

XTENDEX 300-foot USB KVM Extenders

Additional features may also be accommodated, such as audio extension, serial extension and USB peripheral extension.