1. It is better to sign-up/log-in before you post your question (or reply to an existing thread), instead of posting as a guest.
    This will allow you to easily look up the Q&A sequence anytime, anywhere, with just one mouse click. Learn more...

You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google+ accounts, or create a KVMGalore HelpCenter user-name/password.
    Dismiss Notice

Reverse KVM Two Desks / Two Computers

Discussion in 'KVM' started by joeneuman, Oct 31, 2017.

1. joeneuman

joeneuman New member

I have a stand up desk and a sit down desk. Most of the time I am working alone and want to have one computer connected to both desks (both monitors, keyboards and mice).

Sometimes my wife wants to use one of the computers at either one of either desks.

As I see it I want the system to function in one of four different ways.

1) Computer 1 at both desks.
    2) Computer 2 at both desks.
    3) Computer 1 at sitting desk & Computer 2 at standing desk.
    4) Computer 2 at sitting desk & Computer 1 at standing desk.

I am not sure how I will accomplish this. Can anyone help?

2. joeneuman

joeneuman New member

I think I figured it out. I just need two KVM switches. One for each desk. Each desk can choise which computer it wants to be connected to.

3. KVMGalore Expert

KVMGalore Expert Staff Member

Joeneuman,

You will need a combination of a KVM switch and a KVM splitter.

As you are already aware, a KVM switch allows you to use one console to control multiple computers (albeit - one at a time).

In order to access one computer from multiple locations, however, you'll need to deploy a KVM splitter (or Reverse KVM). These devices allow accessing and controlling one computer from multiple consoles (stand up desk and a sit down desk in your case).

Hope this helps!
    We welcome your questions - please come back and ask us anything, anytime, or just offer your feedback.