1. It is better to sign-up/log-in before you post your question (or reply to an existing thread), instead of posting as a guest.
    This will allow you to easily look up the Q&A sequence anytime, anywhere, with just one mouse click. Learn more...

You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google+ accounts, or create a KVMGalore HelpCenter user-name/password.
    Dismiss Notice

Switch USB-C KVM and docking EDID

Discussion in 'KVM' started by Steve78, Apr 18, 2023.

1. Steve78

Steve78 Guest

Hi. I am looking for a product that will resolve my issue, if one exists.
    I have 2 laptops that connect into a USB-C switch that feeds a StarTech docking station, that feeds two DP monitors.
    When I switch between computers, one of my computers moves the open applications all around and I have to place them where I need them again.
    I believes it's something to do with the EDID but not sure what would fix it.

2. KVMGalore Expert

KVMGalore Expert Staff Member

Hello Steve,

Thank you for reaching out on our HelpCenter.

Before we can point you in the right direction, we need some additional information about your setup:
    1) What type of connections are made between each laptop and the USB-C switch?
    2) What type of connections are made between the USB-C switch and the StarTech docking station?
    3) What is the model number for the USB-C switch?
    4) What is the model number for the StarTech docking station?
    5) Not sure how (and for what purpose) does the USB-C switch feed a StarTech docking station - A diagram of your setup would be helpful (requires signing up into HelpCenter)

Please advise.

Important note: To continue this discussion - please respond via KVMGalore HelpCenter thread, NOT via e-mail.

3. Steve78

Steve78 Member

I'm not sure how to make a diagram on here. 2 laptops output via USB-C to USB-C switch. 1 USB-C cable feeds from the switch to Startech docking station (DK30CH2DPPD). From the docking station, 2 DP cables feed 2 monitors. I have included a couple of photos to better show.

Attached Files:

4. KVMGalore Expert

Thanks for the photos, Steve.

Please provide the make and model number for the USB-C switch.

Important note: To continue this discussion - please respond via KVMGalore HelpCenter thread, NOT via e-mail.

5. Steve78

Steve78 Member

I don't see a model number but the brand is Mleeda.
    Here's a link to the product page if that helps.
    8K DisplayPort Switch Splitter,MLEEDA Bidirectional DP 1.4 Switcher 2 in 1 Out / 1 in 2 Out,Supports 8K@30Hz 4K@120Hz,Compatible with Various Interfaces of Video Sources and Displays https://a.co/d/aj7nC6G

6. Steve78

Steve78 Member

I found the model- C201

7. KVMGalore Expert

Mleeda C201 (and the link you provided) is a DisplayPort video switch, not a KVM switch.

Please provide the make and model number for the USB-C switch. you are using.

8. Steve78

Steve78 Member

They must have ran out of those and changed the product.
    This one is exactly the same thing
    USB-C Switch,Bi-Directional USB C Switcher 2 in 1 Out/1 in 2 Out Type C KVM Switch Supports 8K@60Hz,4K@120Hz Video / 10Gbps Data Transfer/ 100w Power Delivery Compatible with Thunderbolt Device https://a.co/d/8i436iq

9. KVMGalore Expert

Thanks for the new link, Steve.

Just like the 1st DisplayPort video switch you pointed to, this USB-C switch appears to be a video switch as well, not intended to support keyboard/mouse, but rather USB-C video only.
    Its Amazon description also reads "Connecting a USB-C/Thunderbolt docking station/hub is not recommended, otherwise there will be flickering or the screen will go black" - a connection your setup described as one that wasn't working properly for you.

FYI: EDID issues with DisplayPort usually get resolved with the use of an EDID Emulator. In your case, we're not sure any of these would resolve your issue, being that your original video (from the laptop) is going through the video switch, then through a docking station before it reaches your DisplayPort monitor.

Hope this helps!
    We welcome your questions - please come back and ask us anything, anytime. You may also give us a call at 1-800-636-3434 for further clarifications on this thread.

10. Steve78

Steve78 Member

Thanks for the info. The original link to the product, that they apparently changed, said it works fine with a docking station. Honestly, it does work fine. Was just trying to figure out the applications being moved into 1 monitor when switching back. Appreciate you looking into it. I'll dig into more.