1. It is better to sign-up/log-in before you post your question (or reply to an existing thread), instead of posting as a guest.
    This will allow you to easily look up the Q&A sequence anytime, anywhere, with just one mouse click. Learn more...

You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google+ accounts, or create a KVMGalore HelpCenter user-name/password.
    Dismiss Notice

Switch what is a good option KVM switch for Mac & PC?

Discussion in 'KVM' started by nitai, Oct 14, 2019.

1. nitai

nitai New member

I have a MacBook Pro and a PC.
    I want to connect the Macbook to through the KVM to the PC monitor and switch between the PC and the mac. Can anyone direct me what I can buy?

Also, I have an external Apple keyboard that I want to connect to the KVM because it is more comfortable when I'm working on the mac.

2. KVMGalore Expert

KVMGalore Expert Staff Member

Hello nitai,

Thank you for reaching out on our HelpCenter.

This should not be an issue assuming your Apple keyboard is a USB keyboard. You will be able to use your Apple USB keyboard with any KVM switch you choose that supports USB.

This will depend on the type of video your equipment has. Please advise the following:
    1) What type video connector(s) does your Macbook have?
    2) What type video connector(s) does your PC have?
    3) What type video connector(s) does your monitor have?

Important note: To continue this discussion - please respond via KVMGalore HelpCenter thread, NOT via e-mail.

3. nitai

nitai New member

1. USB Type-C and I attached to it external hub of USB 3
    2. DVI / VGA / lots of USB
    3. VGA/ DVI / DP / 2 USB 2.0 / USB type B (something to connect to a printer) my screen is dell 2311UH

4. KVMGalore Expert

Being that both your PC and your monitor have DVI, you should go with a KVM switch that supports DVI.

You will need to create a DVI port from your USB Type-C port on your Macbook by using one of these USB video adapters.

Hope this helps!
    We welcome your questions - please come back and ask us anything, anytime.

Important note: To continue this discussion - please respond via KVMGalore HelpCenter thread, NOT via e-mail.

5. nitai

nitai New member

OK thanks, but I need also a KVM switch to connect it to
    What KVM do you recommend?

6. KVMGalore Expert

Look above and click on the link: KVM switch that supports DVI.

7. nitai

nitai New member

8. KVMGalore Expert

Hello nitai,

Thank you for reaching out on our HelpCenter.

GCS1102 MiniView DVI USB KVMP/KVMA, 2-Ports comes with 2x KVM cables.
    Connect one cable to your PC and to CPU1 connectors on the back of the KVM switch.
    Connect the 2nd cable to your Mac and to CPU2 connectors on the back of the KVM switch.
    Then connect your monitor, keyboard and mouse to the connectors marked CONSOLE on the back of the KVM switch.
    And that's it - you are all set!

Hope this helps!
    We welcome your questions - please come back and ask us anything, anytime.