1. It is better to sign-up/log-in before you post your question (or reply to an existing thread), instead of posting as a guest.
    This will allow you to easily look up the Q&A sequence anytime, anywhere, with just one mouse click. Learn more...

You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google+ accounts, or create a KVMGalore HelpCenter user-name/password.
    Dismiss Notice

Switch Which one to get...

Discussion in 'KVM' started by Joseph, Jun 6, 2014.

1. Joseph

Joseph New member

I've got a high-end desktop at home running 3 monitors with high resolution, one of which is very large with 2560 x 1600 resolution.
    Wired keyboard and wireless mouse and speakers.
    I want to be able to also use the keyboard, mouse, speakers and 2 of the 3 displays easily with my Microsoft Surface Pro 2 which has the surface 2 docking station.

I'd like to focus on quality but not too expensive. $1,200 is outrageous but $600 might not be bad if the solution is elegant and very easy to use.

Can you point me to the 3 best options you have?

2. KVMGalore Expert

KVMGalore Expert Staff Member

A few clarifying questions (we need to better understand your setup before we can make a recommendation):
    1) How are you using the 3 monitors connected to your desktop? In Extended Desktop mode (i.e. you can scroll the mouse from one screen to the adjacent one)?
    2) Does your desktop have 3 video outputs?
    3) What type of video output does your desktop have (i.e. DVI, VGA, HDMI, DisplayPort)?
    4) How many video outputs does your Microsoft Surface Pro 2 with its surface 2 docking station have?
    5) What type of video output does your Microsoft Surface Pro 2 with its surface 2 docking station have (i.e. DVI, VGA, HDMI, DisplayPort)?

3. Joseph

Joseph New member

1) How are you using the 3 monitors connected to your desktop? In Extended Desktop mode (i.e. you can scroll the mouse from one screen to the adjacent one)?

All 3 are next to each other on desk and mouse scrolls from one monitor to other 2.

2) Does your desktop have 3 video outputs?

Actually supports 4 - but I only need to use 3.

3) What type of video output does your desktop have (i.e. DVI, VGA, HDMI, DisplayPort)?

DVI - but I can use HDMI as well. They are all high end NEC Monitors...Multisync PA301W is largest and 2 of the Multisync P232W.

4) How many video outputs does your Microsoft Surface Pro 2 with its surface 2 docking station have?

1 Mini DisplayPort.

5) What type of video output does your Microsoft Surface Pro 2 with its surface 2 docking station have (i.e. DVI, VGA, HDMI, DisplayPort)?

Mini DisplayPort.

4. KVMGalore Expert

KVMGalore Expert Staff Member

Most multi-screen KVM switches support only two video heads per computer. Triple-video KVM switches are few and far between in the marketplace, and they typically support four computers (with 3 video heads for each). You will need one of these to support the three video heads on your desktop and the three monitors in your console, while being able to use it to switch between your desktop and your Surface Pro.

Being that your Surface Pro has only one video output (and depending on your KVM-switch settings), its video will appear on only one monitor, or will get duplicated on all 3 monitors.

[​IMG] The workhorse of the bunch which has been around for quite some time is AdderView PRO MultiScreen, with proven reliability and a higher price point.

The newcomer is DVN-4Trio at a very attractive price point, although it supports resolution only up to 1920x1200.

Both will require cables to be purchased separately and support for a wireless mouse may or may not work (as in any KVM switch).

Lastly, you will need a Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter for your Surface Pro 2 (you won't need video conversion since DisplayPort video and DVI video are compatible).