1. It is better to sign-up/log-in before you post your question (or reply to an existing thread), instead of posting as a guest.
    This will allow you to easily look up the Q&A sequence anytime, anywhere, with just one mouse click. Learn more...

You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google+ accounts, or create a KVMGalore HelpCenter user-name/password.
    Dismiss Notice

IP Equipment advice

Discussion in 'KVM' started by Rik, Jul 3, 2024.

1. Rik

Rik Guest

I'm looking through your site and find a ton of reasonable ideas to accomplish what I've been tasked to do. I'm looking to provide at least two, if not three (good, better, best), solutions to my problem.

That being that in a small / medium-sized facility I've got a room where there are 4 monitors on the floor each connected to a device that needs to be monitored /controlled. The video sources are mostly DP & HDMI but a couple are laptops (MAC - USB-4/DP) and it would also be nice to be able to connect to older devices DVI [maybe and occasional VGA].

Someone purchased a CIT RM-131-19W-801 but its only VGA and wont solve the issue. The nice thing about this is that the KVM are all self contained in a 1RU unit and the idea of saving space is appealing if not necessary. I think there are better solutions available especially considering that this is just one of several servers that can be connected to it.

We use team view often to connect / control other devices everyday. Sometimes those connections freeze up or are lost at inconvenient moments. I have experience installing / using the Raritan Dominion line of products and would put that as the best option (adaptability w /CIMs and room for expansion). I'd like to fill the good and better options. I also like the idea of a full IP solution w/o (i.e. without dongles). Can you all offer some advice?

More details : The immediate issue is located in a small equipment room with 4 almost-full racks. The equipment and solution (KVM) would all be in this room. Rack space is limited but I could mount a monitor / shelf on the wall to potentially support a traditional mouse and keyboard. If cable was run neatly the equipment would be maybe about 10' at most from the hardware.

Thanks

2. KVMGalore Expert

KVMGalore Expert Staff Member

Hello Rik,

Thank you for reaching out on our HelpCenter.

Raritan Dominion KX III IS a KVM over IP solution.

Similar KVM over IP switches are also available from other manufacturers.

For local control over a network without dongles you should look at the KVM over IP solutions we offer, although these solutions may offer limited compatibility with VGA and/or DVI video interfaces you mentioned.

For local control without a network, you should look at these KVM switches, or at these multi-user KVM switches that use dongles.

Hope this helps!
    We welcome your questions - please come back and ask us anything, anytime. You may also give us a call at 1-800-636-3434 for further clarifications on this thread.

Important note: To continue this discussion - please respond via KVMGalore HelpCenter thread, NOT via e-mail.