1. It is better to sign-up/log-in before you post your question (or reply to an existing thread), instead of posting as a guest.
    This will allow you to easily look up the Q&A sequence anytime, anywhere, with just one mouse click. Learn more...

You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google+ accounts, or create a KVMGalore HelpCenter user-name/password.
    Dismiss Notice

IP KVM Over IP for remote work

Discussion in 'KVM' started by Audio.Dan, Sep 18, 2024.

1. Audio.Dan

Audio.Dan Guest

Good day,

I work remote, and I'm trying to work from another country keeping my work laptop in my home (not able to download nothing on it)

I have a:
    Dell Latitude 5420 Laptop
    Two Dell P2419H monitors - extended display from my work laptop.
    Dell K20a001 docking station

My goal is to find a KVM over IP that can allow me to access my work laptop obviously but allow me to recreate my setup remotely.

I do have a MacBook pro M2 which I will do majority of my controlling. Is there anything like this that can anyone suggest?

I'm a newbie of course.

2. KVMGalore Expert

KVMGalore Expert Staff Member

Hello Audio.Dan,

Thank you for reaching out on our HelpCenter.

To accomplish this, you will need to deploy a KVM over IP Gateway, connect it to the work laptop you're looking to control (video and USB connections), and to the Internet.

If you want to have extended desktop capabilities, you will need 2x KVM over IP Gateways connected to the work laptop (using the same connections you're currently using to connect your two monitors, with only one USB connection).

On the remote end, you'll need to run a Web-browser (on your controlling computer) to make a connection to the Gateway.

If you're using 2x Gateways (to support the two video feeds for extended desktop), then, on the remote computer (which will also have two screens) you'll need to run two Web-browser sessions, each to make a connection to one Gateway. You could then position one browser on one screen and the 2nd browser on the 2nd screen to accomplish an extended desktop.

To streamline extended desktop functionality on the remote end, you may want to deploy a User Station that supports dual-monitors:
    - ATEN Gateways work with KA8288 and KA8278.
    - Raritan Dominion KX IV-101 Gateway works with Dominion KX IV User Station and Dominion KX IV Enhanced User Station

Which Gateway to choose will also depend on the video interface (connection) your work laptop has.

Hope this helps!
    We welcome your questions - please come back and ask us anything, anytime. You may also give us a call at 1-800-636-3434 for further clarifications on this thread.

Important note: To continue this discussion - please respond via KVMGalore HelpCenter thread, NOT via e-mail.