1. It is better to sign-up/log-in before you post your question (or reply to an existing thread), instead of posting as a guest.
    This will allow you to easily look up the Q&A sequence anytime, anywhere, with just one mouse click. Learn more...

You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google+ accounts, or create a KVMGalore HelpCenter user-name/password.
    Dismiss Notice

Extender DVI-USB console extender

Discussion in 'KVM' started by Bruno C, Sep 9, 2016.

1. Bruno C

Bruno C New member

1) I have a DVI-USB computer I'd like to control from two consoles, one in proximity to the computer; the other located 70-100 feet away.

Both consoles should be able to control this one computer.

Required DVI resolution: 1920x1200 @ 60hz.

2) I'm also looking for a similar application that can support a dual-monitor setup.

Can you recommend the hardware needed to accomplish these two requirements?

2. KVMGalore Expert

KVMGalore Expert Staff Member

Sure!

To accomplish your 1st setup you will need a DVI-USB KVM extender with a built-in KVM splitter, that supports both local console access and remote access, such as KLX-500 or Cat5 Reach.

For the dual-monitor application, things get a bit more complicated because dual-video KVM extenders typically support only remote access (and do not offer local access).

You can take a closer look at systems (supporting local access only) such as CAT-x Multi-Screen DVI KVM Extenders, LDX-2P or CE604.

To accomplish having local access as well, you may deploy two 2-port DVI splitters between the computer's (two) video ports and the above dual-video KVM extenders. From each splitter, one port will connect to the KVM extender, while the other will connect to a local monitor. Keyboard and mouse (from the local console) could connect directly to USB ports on the computer.

3. Bruno C

Bruno C New member

How about: DVI-I, USB 2.0, single monitor application, with local access over LAN.

4. KVMGalore Expert

KVMGalore Expert Staff Member

It is possible to use your LAN for extension (instead of a dedicated run - outside your LAN - of CATx cable).

To accomplish this you'll need to use a DVI KVM extender over IP.

Models that support both local and remote access include:
    DVI KVM over IP w/ Local DVI Output
    KLX-500
    KE6900

If you prefer using this method of extension (over Ethernet), you should also look at KE6940, which supports dual-video extension with both local and remote access.