1. It is better to sign-up/log-in before you post your question (or reply to an existing thread), instead of posting as a guest.
    This will allow you to easily look up the Q&A sequence anytime, anywhere, with just one mouse click. Learn more...

You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google+ accounts, or create a KVMGalore HelpCenter user-name/password.
    Dismiss Notice

Video EDID pass-through vs emulation for HDMI-only KVMs

Discussion in 'KVM' started by erndal, Feb 6, 2024.

1. erndal

erndal New member

I am a bit confused about a level of EDID support required from a KVM to get the result that I am looking for: I want to connect a desktop & a laptop to a KVM as inputs via HDMI, and have one single display connected to a KVM as an output via HDMI.

Now, two points are important for me: first, when a desktop is active, I want a laptop to continue thinking that it is still connected to an external display so that it won't turn on its built-in display. Also, when a switch from one input to another occurs, I want a display to think that during the switch it continues to maintain an uninterrupted connection to a device so that the switch will be like changing input select in display's settings - and not like physically disconnecting one device and then connecting another (since in case of an input select change, the change occurs in a couple of seconds, while in the case of a physical disconnect/connect, the monitor starts displaying a message 'HDMI no signal' and even if you immediately connect a device again, it takes ages for a display to start displaying).

Now, if I know that a KVM supports EDID pass-through but not EDID emulation, does it mean that it will be able to do what I want, or do I specifically need KVM which supports EDID emulation? I know that there are all kinds of EDID-related complications for KVMs with DisplayPort, but it is not clear to me what will be sufficient requirements for HDMI-only KVM.

2. KVMGalore Expert

KVMGalore Expert Staff Member

Hello erndal,

Thank you for reaching out on our HelpCenter.

The terms EDID pass-through and EDID emulation may be one of the same, depending on who is using them and in what context.

But the long and the short of it is: All KVM switches supporting HDMI that we offer will accomplish precisely what you're looking for (i.e. when you switch between computers, the video settings and icon/window setup on your screen will be retained and will show up in exactly the same state you left it when you previously switched away from that computer.

Hope this helps!
    We welcome your questions - please come back and ask us anything, anytime. You may also give us a call at 1-800-636-3434 for further clarifications on this thread.

Important note: To continue this discussion - please respond via KVMGalore HelpCenter thread, NOT via e-mail.