1. It is better to sign-up/log-in before you post your question (or reply to an existing thread), instead of posting as a guest.
    This will allow you to easily look up the Q&A sequence anytime, anywhere, with just one mouse click. Learn more...

You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google+ accounts, or create a KVMGalore HelpCenter user-name/password.
    Dismiss Notice

Extender Extending a dual-video computer to two locations

Discussion in 'KVM' started by Matthew Perry, Sep 17, 2014.

1. Matthew Perry

Matthew Perry New member

I have four dual-DVI (and USB) computers, rack-mounted in a computer room. These computers run a special application that displays different video on each of the video outputs.

I want to be able to access and control each of them from two separate locations, about 200 feet away.

In each location, I want to end up having a console for each computer (no switching required). Each console should consist of one keyboard, one mouse, two DVI monitors.

Can you recommend a hardware solution?

2. KVMGalore Expert

KVMGalore Expert Staff Member

[​IMG]Typically, to access one computer from two locations (one at a time) you would need a KVM splitter, or what's called a Reverse KVM.
    The problem is that these devices typically do not support multi-video.

In this case, we can split the solution into two segments:
    1) Split the video. Connect a 2-port DVI video splitter to each video port on your computer. You will now have 2 pairs of video outputs (4 total).
    2) Connect a dual-video DVI KVM extender to the 1st pair of video outputs (and to a USB port on the computer). This extender will extend the computer's console to one location.
    3) Connect a dual-video DVI KVM extender to the 2nd pair of video outputs (and to a USB port on the computer). This extender will extend the computer's console to the second location.
    4) Repeat steps 1-3 with each computer. In total, you will need four (4) video splitters and eight (8) KVM extenders.

Since all four computers are rack-mounted in one location, you may choose a rack-mount solution that will include eight dual-DVI KVM transmitters in one chassis.

We have updated the quote in your shopping cart accordingly.