1. It is better to sign-up/log-in before you post your question (or reply to an existing thread), instead of posting as a guest.
    This will allow you to easily look up the Q&A sequence anytime, anywhere, with just one mouse click. Learn more...

You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google+ accounts, or create a KVMGalore HelpCenter user-name/password.
    Dismiss Notice

Extender HDMI/KVM remote gaming computer suggestions

Discussion in 'KVM' started by a.q.starkey42, Feb 7, 2017.

1. a.q.starkey42

a.q.starkey42 New member

I am exploring a home computer setup that allows me to extend my gaming from my office space to the living room.

I have been looking at two of your products that might feasibly accomplish this, the RAV-IP and the HD-KVM over IP products.

I currently use HD TVs over HDMI as my primary displays and I want to run CAT-7 out to my living room to have a remote console with audio in/out for a headset as well as wireless keyboard/mouse. I may also want to include a game-pad in the future as well but that is a negotiable feature as far as I am concerned in my setup.

What my question boils down to is what your recommendations for the best solution is? I would rather have a direct connection from sender to receiver and have the potential for 3-4 USB devices available from the remote location.

I also wonder what I could expect for potential video latency from either solution?

Another question I would have is if there are any comparable options to accomplish this setup and include digital audio?

That sums up my questions thus far. Thanks.

2. KVMGalore Expert

KVMGalore Expert Staff Member

HD-KVM over IP requires a network switch, and being that it extends your computer's console over IP, you will inherently have some latency. Hence, you are better off with RAV-IP, since it will provide the extension with a direct CATx run (without a network switch).

RAV-IP will also meet most of the rest of your requirements, i.e.:
    - Audio
    - USB peripheral extension

Wireless keyboard/mouse is questionable, as it always is with KVMs (see article).

Are you referring to the audio originally embedded with the HDMI? or separate digital-audio input and output?

P.S. If you wish to respond or follow-up, it is better that you sign-in before you reply to this thread (instead of posting as a guest). This will allow you to easily look up this conversation anytime, anywhere, with just one mouse click. Learn more...