1. It is better to sign-up/log-in before you post your question (or reply to an existing thread), instead of posting as a guest.
    This will allow you to easily look up the Q&A sequence anytime, anywhere, with just one mouse click. Learn more...

You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google+ accounts, or create a KVMGalore HelpCenter user-name/password.
    Dismiss Notice

Splitter How can I get my computer to show up on my TV?

Discussion in 'Audio/Video' started by Mallory, May 19, 2013.

1. Mallory

Mallory New member

I'm trying to use my television to watch videos via web (ie, Youtube) on my computer. I'm just looking for some sort of cable to plug in from my computer to the aux input on my television. Can this be done via USB?

2. KVMGalore Expert

KVMGalore Expert Staff Member

There are a number of different ways to achieve this and, yes - some solutions use USB.

If your computer is in proximity to your TV - The simplest would be to use an external USB video card. These devices (choose one based on the type of video input your TV has - HDMI or DVI or VGA) use a USB port on your computer to display the computer's video (and audio - when using an HDMI model) on your TV.

If your computer is far away from your TV - You could use a wireless solution that streams the computer's video (and audio - when using an HDMI model) to your TV.

You could also use a 2-port audio/video splitter/extender that uses CAT-5 cables between the source (your computer) and the destination (your TV).

If you are able to run coax cables (for both video and audio) between the computer and your TV, you could then utilize a simple 2-port audio/video splitter.

If you could tell us what type of video inputs your TV has, and what type of video outputs your computer has - we could then be more specific in our recommendations.

3. Mallory

Mallory New member

Great! That's exactly what I was looking for, thanks.