1. It is better to sign-up/log-in before you post your question (or reply to an existing thread), instead of posting as a guest.
    This will allow you to easily look up the Q&A sequence anytime, anywhere, with just one mouse click. Learn more...

You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google+ accounts, or create a KVMGalore HelpCenter user-name/password.
    Dismiss Notice

Multi-screen KVM for 2 computers that support 3 monitors each

Discussion in 'KVM' started by David F, Apr 30, 2016.

1. David F

David F New member

I have 2 computers that support 3 monitors each.

1 Computer has 1 HDMI, 1DVI, and 3 Display ports. But I have adapters to turn the 3 display ports to HDMI.

My second computer has 1 DVI, 1 Display port (using a display port to DVI adapter), and 1 VGA.

My 3 monitors all support VGA, DVI, and HDMI.

Right now, I get it all working by changing the input on each monitor.
    I would love to be able to use a KVM to push 1 button to activate all 3 monitors on 1 PC or the other. I know it is a hell of a stretch, but I thought I would ask. To make it easier, I am getting a new Dell laptop that supports 6 monitors with a port replicator and all use HDMI. Looks like HDMI is going to be my future (will have new laptop in a month or less).

2. KVMGalore Expert

KVMGalore Expert Staff Member

You could use a multi-screen KVM switch that supports three video inputs from each computer, supporting one console consisting of one keyboard/mouse and three screens. Using this switch, when you switch to computer A, the video coming from computer A's 3 video ports will be displayed on your three screens - no more disconnecting and reconnecting cables to change the input on each monitor.

The following models will accomplish the job for you (please make sure the switch supports the video resolution you are running).
    AdderView 4 PRO DVI MultiScreen, Triple-Head
    DVN-4Trio-DL
    DVN-4Trio

These switches use DVI, and since all your monitors support DVI - you are good on the screen end.

On the computers' end - you're already familiar with displayPort to DVI adapters. In a similar fashion you'll need to use HDMI to DVI adapters (the video format is compatible).

The only problem is the one computer that has one VGA output. VGA (analog video) is incompatible with DVI (digital video), and so you will need to use a converter (as opposed to an adapter) to convert the VGA to digital DVI before connecting it to the switch.

And you're all set!

3. David F

David F New member

Greetings,

Thanks for the response. Since I am dumping the oldest computer and bringing in a Laptop with a port replicator that has 3 HDMI ports, I should be able to go 3 HDMI from Monitor to 3 HDMI to PC. Do you have a model that does that?

4. KVMGalore Expert

KVMGalore Expert Staff Member

That's good news then. You'll be using digital video across the board and won't need to deal with converting analog (VGA) video to digital video.

These multi-screen KVM switches are pretty unique, and so manufacturers limit the number of models they make: VGA models to support analog video; DVI models to support digital video, knowing that format adapters from DVI to HDMI or DisplayPort are inexpensive and easy to use.