1. It is better to sign-up/log-in before you post your question (or reply to an existing thread), instead of posting as a guest.
    This will allow you to easily look up the Q&A sequence anytime, anywhere, with just one mouse click. Learn more...

You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google+ accounts, or create a KVMGalore HelpCenter user-name/password.
    Dismiss Notice

Question KVM with EDID Support

Discussion in 'KVM' started by Dan-in-Virginia, Sep 6, 2023.

1. Dan-in-Virginia

Dan-in-Virginia New member

I have a Dell U38318DW monitor with a 3840x1600 resolution. The immediate need is to make it work with an HP G5 dock (which works perfectly well with the monitor via DisplayPort at full res and 60Hz) and a Surface Dock 2 at the same resolution.

I purchased an AVAccess 8KSW21DP-DM
    https://www.avaccess.com/products/8ksw21dp-dm-displayport-kvm-switch/
    which works fine with the Surface, but not the G5 Dock which is heavily secured and boots into a DOS bitlocker screen and takes forever to get into Windows.

I have a couple options. Either get a KVM that supports EDID and will make this HP laptop think it's got an active and continuous connection, or get an EDID emulator that will support 3840x1600 at 60Hz. I have not found a KVM or EDID emulator that specifies compatibility with this setting.

I can easily return the AVAccess KVM. It looks pretty good as a piece of hardware. I would prefer dual screen x 2 PC for future proofing, but my immediate need is one screen x 2 PC.

Thank you

2. KVMGalore Expert

KVMGalore Expert Staff Member

Hello Dan-in-Virginia,

Thank you for reaching out on our HelpCenter.

Traditionally, DisplayPort KVM switches never provided their own EDID support, but rather left that task to be performed by the DisplayPort protocol itself.

This has now changed!!!

Check these out.

Check these out.

Hope this helps!
    We welcome your questions - please come back and ask us anything, anytime. You may also give us a call at 1-800-636-3434 for further clarifications on this thread.

Important note: To continue this discussion - please respond via KVMGalore HelpCenter thread, NOT via e-mail.