1. It is better to sign-up/log-in before you post your question (or reply to an existing thread), instead of posting as a guest.
    This will allow you to easily look up the Q&A sequence anytime, anywhere, with just one mouse click. Learn more...

You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google+ accounts, or create a KVMGalore HelpCenter user-name/password.
    Dismiss Notice

Reverse KVM Operate one PC from two locations

Discussion in 'KVM' started by Carlos R, Oct 8, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Carlos R

Carlos R New member

I need to extend a PC to two places, each place has a distance to PC of 60m, and each place should be able to provide USB transparent to up to 4 devices.

Also, the system should be able to let one work place be active at a time. If one work place is active the other one has to be down. And to get service there should be some kind of command that when press to press in the keyboard allocated in the work places that when you press it, you capture the signal.

Also would be nice to have a system that allows to lock the service so when someone is using it, the other workplace cannot capture the service until the other user unlocks it. This should be set with another hot-key or similar.

I need to know if you can provide devices capable of that, and what will be the cost of the whole system with one PC and extension to two different sites.

2. KVMGalore Expert

KVMGalore Expert Staff Member

[​IMG]This would be accomplished using a KVM splitter ("Reverse KVM") with extension over CATx.

One product that has all this functionality build-in is VOPEX USB KVM Splitter/Extender.

Deploy one VOPEX USB KVM+Peripherals Splitter/Extender by the computer, then deploy two XTENDEX Hi-Res USB KVM+Additional USB Port Receivers - one in each remote location (where you want the user consoles to be located).

Note: this product offers only one (1) USB port for sharing USB devices at the remote console, but you could easily add more ports by simply connecting a USB hub.

Another option could be to use a 'standard' KVM splitter (such as VOPEX USB KVM Splitter or CS231, then extend the consoles to the two remote locations by connecting two USB+peripheral extenders such as AdderLink X-USB PRO.

3. Carlos R

Carlos R New member

Many thanks for your answer. I have checked both options you proposed.

I think both of them could be suitable for our needs, however I need to be sure that both options can switch the active workplace remotely, and also, that I can plug in more complicated devices than keyboards and mouses, like printers for example. For printers, the USB communication requires the driver to work properly and USB transparent is required.

Also wanted to know if you have any partner to provide this devices in Spain, and if there is the chance to try the devices in our lab for one day. We need this solution for more than 1000 sites. So before buying it we need to be sure it works.

Here is the diagram:

[​IMG]

4. KVMGalore Expert

KVMGalore Expert Staff Member

Both solutions support local video.

Both solutions support transparent USB 2.0, so you should have no problems connecting a printer at anyone of the remote locations.

Unfortunately we do not have representation in Spain. You should probably order one system to test it out prior to deploying in 1000 sites.

Note: When shipping overseas, you may find that UPS shipping charges may be quite expensive. To alleviate the high cost of overseas shipment you may want to consider using a U.S.-based freight forwarder. Such a service may significantly reduce your overseas shipping cost, and - since we will be shipping domestically - you may even qualify for our free Ground shipping.